Properly swap a V160 6 speed transmission into A70 Supra.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Could you share the bearing part numbers? Also do you have more details on the adapter for the speedo? I want to install a 3.5 rear gear on my R154 to aid my highway speeds. I'm running stock twins and the super low TQ and boost from sequential is making a very jerky highway drive because of being at such a high RPM.

I need something to allow me to correct the difference between the 3.5 and 3.9 gear I'm going to be switching out.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Diff bearing PN's have always been the same:
Carrier: 90366-50001
Inner Pinion: 90366-35028
Outer Pinion: 90366-30067

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Zazzn;2089803 said:
Could you share the bearing part numbers? Also do you have more details on the adapter for the speedo? I want to install a 3.5 rear gear on my R154 to aid my highway speeds. I'm running stock twins and the super low TQ and boost from sequential is making a very jerky highway drive because of being at such a high RPM.

I need something to allow me to correct the difference between the 3.5 and 3.9 gear I'm going to be switching out.

Which adapter? The reverse movement adapter is custom,which is used to alter the direction of the V160 wheel since in the R154 is the opposite. It is also built to reduce the speedo output since the V160 uses different will pattern by + 17%, so the adapter has around - 17 % speedo output to balance the difference.

For a stock 2jzgte with twins the 3.9 mk3 diff is ok. Not to mention the 4.1 rear gear should be the perfect one. Don't forget the JZA70 mk3 Supra had 4.1 from the factory!
The R154 has quite long gears especially 1st and 3rd and of course 5th is the overdrive for highway cruise.
It was one of the reasons I went with the V160 wich is a much close ratio transmission than the R154. Only the late R154s that the late Soarers had..had better gearing but good luck finding one...

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Car is not running now. Sold the AEM v1 ecu. Waiting for the AEM series 2 ecu and some AEM pressure valves for safety feat./logging.
Also I just got the 3.5 gear / built Weir stage 1 LSD differential, and I would like to install it and it will need to be broken in...
So, it will take some time till the car will be ready for the final tune. I will make a video asap with the car just cruising around with everything working like speedo, abs, etc.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Some update... Finally !
Project has come to an end. Only the 3.5 gear differential is left to be installed, but will take a while to get it on the car since I want to practice on the current stock 3.7 that I have and feel the gearing and performance with this setup. The 3.5 gear waits in the storage. Also the AEM series 2 ecu is installed and tuned for every day driving and cruising with wastegate spring boost setup (440 whp / 13 psi of boost) , though it needs a dyno tune for full boost and final setup hopefully around a 4 digit HP number .

So, the ABS issue is resolved installing an ABS ring at the outer rear diff pinion flange. The ABS stock sensor wiring was extended and it was placed facing the teeth of the ring at a gap of 2 mm . The sensor's magnet pin is flat and parallel. It should be installed facing the ring's parallel teeth, with a 2mm gap between them .Here is the final setup.

IMAG1325.jpgIMAG1450.jpgIMAG1451.jpgIMAG1452.jpgIMAG1453.jpgIMAG1454.jpg

Also , got the oem exclusive Toyota V160/161 transmission oil
IMAG1299.jpg

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Nice sensor.

Is that a big hole I see in the subframe where one of the front diff mount bolts up?

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Piratetip;2091387 said:
Nice sensor.

Is that a big hole I see in the subframe where one of the front diff mount bolts up?

Yeap....hahaha. Well nothing to worry about. 5-6 years ago when I was swapping diffs one bolt from the right diff mount wouldn't unbolt and spinning like crazy.
The hexagon nut inside the subframe that is factory welded to the frame come loose...and I create a service hole in the subframe to access a hexagon wrench/key inside
so I can unloose or tighten the differential bolt. The hole does not effect or interfere with the rigidity or structure of the subframe.
I have a 2nd spare subframe though...

Last edited:

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
suprarx7nut;2091391 said:
This is a super cool thread. One of my favorites in recent years from the mk3 community. Cool parts, quality fabrication and a great looking end result. Nice work!

Thank you for your kind words! Glad I can inspire more people and contribute to the mk3 community..

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah looked like you made it to access that nut, just wanted to make sure you knew about it :D

If it were me I would cover it again and gusset the entire subframe as well as add some bracing across the top.
But that's just what I have planned :D
YMMV !

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Piratetip;2091413 said:
Yeah looked like you made it to access that nut, just wanted to make sure you knew about it :D

If it were me I would cover it again and gusset the entire subframe as well as add some bracing across the top.
But that's just what I have planned :D
YMMV !

Yeah... it's something that I have in mind. Thankfully my Supra is a 1990 model and has the top oem bracing bars.
But yes, a gusset subframe is a good idea...and in general a nice reinforcement !

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Well,some update...
I drive the car and everything works great. Still with the 3.7 rear diff gear, haven't got the time to swap the upgraded 3.5 diff...but soon it will happen.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Any updates SupraClaou?

Where have you gone?

Looks like the photobucket 3rd party hosing bandwidth has hit you as well.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Piratetip;2094502 said:
Any updates SupraClaou?

Where have you gone?

Looks like the photobucket 3rd party hosing bandwidth has hit you as well.

Hey... Here is very deep into summer days with very hot temps! I was away from town.
I don't know if I am going to update before summer ends. Now to be honest I am trying to fix something to my A/C system.
I might hit you a PM to ask about something bro.

YEAH....this was a major HIT from Photobucket! Damn...real suckers I would say! I ain't paying them.
Thankfully I just finished updating this thread,using my local hard disc as a source for my pictures!

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Update! Car is running real nice with no issues after the V160 swap. All look good and smooth.
Haven't had time to install the 3.5 diff, but I will soon.
Will have to make a video soon for the community...