Properly extending alternator wires.

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
From what I read, I can not simply extend the alternator wires. The alternator wires read to be finicky about it's extension.

How did you do it?

How do you do it right?

How did you route it?

Thanks Guys,

Matt-

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
improved;1103270 said:
From what I read, I can not simply extend the alternator wires. The alternator wires read to be finicky about it's extension.

How did you do it?

How do you do it right?

How did you route it?

Thanks Guys,

Matt-

There's only four wires to extend. Use same gauge wires for the 3 thinner wires. I used a zero gauge wire in place of the two black wires that bolt on to the altrernator and is live. Most people route them over the cam cover area like factory.
Good solder joints, shrink wrapped worked for me.Then put them in the wire loom.

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
I see. I was planning on running mine under the top of the radiator support.

So nothing really special then, huh?

Thanks,

Matt-

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
improved;1103393 said:

Thanks,

Matt-

Yeah nothing speacial on these man. YOu can run it behind/under radiator support but make sure it is protected. I would be concerned a bit about it for possibilty of fire during a front end collison.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
improved;1103393 said:

Thanks,

Matt-

i chose this route, just picked up a power wire from advance with the correct connectors on it and it worked like a charm.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
TaSe;1103639 said:
i chose this route, just picked up a power wire from advance with the correct connectors on it and it worked like a charm.

What do you mean power wire, as I've got to do this, and its on the list for today.
Do you mean like Battery power wire or???

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
D34DC311;1103643 said:
What do you mean power wire, as I've got to do this, and its on the list for today.

There is one round connector for the alternator that plugs into the back of the alternator. This has three wires.
Then there is the thick black wire = power wire which gets bolted down to the alternator.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
D34DC311;1103643 said:

Well just a red battery wire with the right connectors on it to hook up to the alt and battery. I just called it a power wire. I forgot what i got 56'' or 46''. I'd measure some wire or something to see how long you need to get. Mine was just right on the money.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Cool, extending the plug shouldn't be a problem, I'm more worried about extending the main line. I guess I'll go to the parts store and see if they have something I could use.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
I am a little curious about this cause i just used the alternator wires that were in my Front Clip Since they run to the same location they were even a bit to long for the job. The wires came off the alternator and went under the Upper Rad Support and blamo everything was done in about 10 - 15 minutes

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
bobiseverywhere;1104450 said:
I am a little curious about this cause i just used the alternator wires that were in my Front Clip Since they run to the same location they were even a bit to long for the job. The wires came off the alternator and went under the Upper Rad Support and blamo everything was done in about 10 - 15 minutes

The only thing that I'm thinking that might be bad to run it under the rad support is the elements. I don't see how it could cause a fire, but I can see it getting torn to shreds while under the car.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
D34DC311;1104602 said:
The only thing that I'm thinking that might be bad to run it under the rad support is the elements. I don't see how it could cause a fire, but I can see it getting torn to shreds while under the car.

i meant the upper rad support it goes across the same spot on the Front clip 1JZ so i figured it would be ok :)

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
On my 1JZ I pulled the two thick black ~10 gauge alternator wires through the EFI routing in the 1JZ engine itself(goes along the top of the engine under the timing belt cover behind the pullys) and where the oil pressure switch comes out of the plenum harness is where the little black box with the bolt terminal comes out at I enlarged the old 7M body side alternator loop connector clipped the wing tabs off and bolted it inside the 1JZ alternator block then mounted the block to one of the 1JZ plenum 10mm bolts in that area looked factory and clean the box ended up the same place as roughly where the old 7m alternator was. The only thing I had to do is recrimp the alternator terminal with the two black wires in it.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
bobiseverywhere;1105327 said:
i meant the upper rad support it goes across the same spot on the Front clip 1JZ so i figured it would be ok :)

LOL, you know just thinking of that, yesterday when mine was out I was thinking thats where it should go ><
I've even redone that area with new heat shield wrap. Now I feel stupid >,<

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I just did mine btw...I forgot to take a picture of the finished project but..

From the alt.
p1105951_1.jpg

p1105951_2.jpg

p1105951_3.jpg

p1105951_4.jpg

p1105951_5.jpg

p1105951_6.jpg

Yea it fits nice and perfect under the radiator.

BLK-SUPRA

SeniorMember of SF.com.au
May 22, 2006
Aust\Melb
www.supraforums.com.au
Hey Guys..im doing a 1jz swap, which is taken 6 months, and still not done!, im so bloody close, just stuck at wirring!! i have changed my 7M engine bay wirring loom with the 1JZ loom, does that mean, i still have to do this alternator mod to get my 1JZ running?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
BLK-SUPRA;1107282 said:
Hey Guys..im doing a 1jz swap, which is taken 6 months, and still not done!, im so bloody close, just stuck at wirring!! i have changed my 7M engine bay wirring loom with the 1JZ loom, does that mean, i still have to do this alternator mod to get my 1JZ running?
theres no mod, your alternator connects to your battery one way or the other.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
BLK-SUPRA;1110321 said:
Thankz mate.. Im hoping this weekend is IT for me.. if i sort out the wires it should be starting.

Yea, its pretty self explanatory, but I do think the 1jz has the alt, on the same side as the 2jz, so you just extend them. Takes around an hour to do it properly. Just remember to clamp and solder the wires together, and don't leave anything bare. The last thing you want is a bad connection that will leave you stranded.

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
This thread's got me a bit confused. Doesn't the power wire from the alternator connect to the fuse box and not straight to the battery? Pretty sure that's how the 7m wire are ran.