Proper way to prime turbo?

87_7MGTE

SOLD :(
Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I searched a little but couldnt find the answers I was looking for. I just got a new turbo and was wondering the best way to prime it? can i just pull the efi fuse and crank till i see oil pressure? or is there a better way to do this?

Thank you

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I have seen some people pack bearing with very light assembly lube. The best way is to prelube the system by spinning the oil pump, but difficult to do in this engine. I'm interested to here peoples Ideas on this also

N

NDBoost

as i said in IM and in the other thread.

Pour oil into turbo oil inlet, spin turbo by hand a few times. Put turbo on car, pull EFI crank till oil pressure is built. Start car idle for a few min and let cool down. should be set.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Oil does not circulate on a bearing surface until the shaft is rotating. This is called the hydrodynamic state. Until you displace the pressure by rotating, you wont coat the bearing/bushing.

Pour oil into turbo oil inlet, spin turbo by hand a few times. Put turbo on car, pull EFI crank till oil pressure is built. Start car idle for a few min and let cool down. should be set.
Yep.

Last edited:

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Just like the guys have said, prime the turbo first with fluid manually.

If you're running a to4 based turbo with a removeable oil feed line, take the efi fuse out and put the line in a cup with a buddy cranking the car.

When you see oil come out of the feed line stop cranking and install the feed line on the turbo.

Again, crank the engine over. Whitness that the compressor blades are indeed moving.

Install the efi fuse and start the car.

Let it IDLE for 5 minutes or so.

Turn the car off, and pull the intake hose and inspect the turbo.

If all apears normal (no shaft play) you are good to go.

The most common problem that I see with rebuilding turbos for people is not priming the turbo system correctly and or having OBSTRUCTIONS IN THE OIL FEED LINE.