Proof that 99% of the MKIII's weak link is the owner... (pics)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Long story short, I picked up the car with a BHG for free, replaced it with a TMS 1.4mm MHG. The machine shop did NOT give me a smooth enough finish for a MHG, so I've had a small leak to contend with. Rather than play the guessing game with the machine shops around here, I decided I'd be better served with cleaning the head, verifying it is straight, and just going with a Fel Pro composite head gasket. ZERO mods, just shimmed the wastegate to 9psi.

On to the pics :naughty:

What I started with:
starting.jpg

As you can see, it's a mess. I've still got to locate a timing belt cover (thinking of going with a clear one) and I DO have the Coil Pack Cover, I'm just cleaning it up.

Radiator had already been removed.

noafm.jpg

AFM removed, and you can better see the posi locks... holding the CPS wiring together... :3d_frown:

noexhaust.jpg

Turbo and exhaust out.. having done it once, it is MUCH easier the 2nd time around!

turbo.jpg

Here's a close up shot of the turbo... believe it or not, there is extremely minimal shaft play or end play in it... happy about that - it'll be getting upgraded to a 57 trim in a month :)

wiring.jpg

My private nightmare. ALL of this is going to come out, and be PROPERLY SOLDERED TOGETHER with heatshrink tubing to cover it. I can't believe this mess. :cry:

HGtop.jpg

Top of the new Fel-Pro gasket

HGbottom.jpg

Bottom of the new Fel-Pro gasket

onblock.jpg

Gasket on the block, after the block deck was cleaned down. Notice how cylinder 6 looks good, but the other 5 cylinders have a LOT of carbon buildup... I'm going to run AutoRX through her, and see if that cleans her up.

otherside.jpg

View from the other side :)

headon.jpg

Here's the head on it, ARP studs re-installed, torque in proper sequence in 35-55-75-100 ft/lbs increments. Letting it sit overnight, then going to go back and do a final 105 ft/lbs pass, as that is what ARP recommends when using 30 wt oil as the lube.

Tomorrow after school, I'm going to start re-working the wiring. I want to get her running good before I go through with my first real upgrades next month (57 trim CT-26 upgrade + 3" mandrel exhaust + 2.5" hard pipes and new intercooler) AEM or MegaSquirt will follow afterward (unless the MAFTPro gets timing control by then :evil2: )

Last edited:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Lookin good man... but i'm pretty sure MAFTPro already has timing control? Or maybe it's just a timing monitor..

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Finally got a chance to start going at that wiring mess...

Completely removed, contact points cleaned, soldered, and heat-shrink wrapped:
Wiring1.jpg

Still to be done:
Wiring2.jpg

Anyone else notice the hot glue on the O2 sensor harness? Yeah, that wasn't me. :mad: I'll need to see about finding a new O2 harness to solder in on the wiring harness now. :3d_frown:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Alright, wiring is as fixed as I'll ever get it. :3d_frown:

Cleaning up things a little...
Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

Then it started raining, so I had to stop. This is just Cast Coat Iron 500 degree paint. Obviously, the gears and timing plate aren't done yet - if you want an idea of how it looks complete. look at the first pic of the AFM - that's the same paint :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Why is this? Considering I've already soldered them... LOL, I've never heard of soldering being bad for a connection....

http://robrobinette.com/o2_sensor.htm

In the mean time, I finished up cleaning some other components in the car. Looking a little better than before... gonna pick up some convoluted wiring tube tomorrow to clean up the compartment better :)

painted2.jpg

Looks pretty good... I like this industrial grey look.

painted3.jpg

Dammit, that exhaust manifold looks like ass... I can't use this 500 degree paint on it, though... I'll have to see if they have some of this Cast Coat Iron in 1500 degree tomorrow, when I go pick up the wire tubing. :3d_frown:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'm going to be making my own, same color...

Hey real quick.. the lines on the valve covers, and the 3000 of the 3000 pipe.. I'm thinking a gloss black on those.. What do you guys think?