Project Great White

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
Ive always enjoyed build threads, so i decided to do my own.
A little backround info, my names Jesse, im 20 years old and I live in Hoover AL.
I first fell in love with mkiiis when I was in high school.
in my auto tech class we rebuilt a 1987 maron slicktop na 5spd.
The more I worked on it the more I wanted one.
So for my first car 87 silver/maron 5spd na, built the cars for the next two years. long story short my dad found out how fast it was and sold it....
I was devistated and didnt speak to him for a while, worst part was I didnt get a penny of my money back.
Nearly two years later I was driving through Pelham Al. and saw a red mkiii at the local car lot. My heart hit the floor board. test drove it but the guy was a crook and wanted way too much for it.
So I started looking, I decided not to settle for a nything but turbo 5spd targa. Late May 2009 I bought my dream car.
I wish I would have taken pics before I started to work on it but here are the first pics. I had already started th 89+ conversion

p1431365_1.jpg

Engine bay as I recieved it, I guess they thought black and lime green would look good
p1431365_2.jpg

When I bought the car I was told it needed a gas tank and fuel pump, so first thing I did was Upgrade to a Walbro 255 and put in a new tank.
While my hands were dirty I decided to have the turbo rebuilt/upgraded by Reed at Supernaturalturbo.com his shop is local

p1431365_3.jpg

After I got my turbo back, went to start the car but it wouldnt rev at all,plus it had a bad exhaust leak on the down pipe and cat. I chased one thing to another replacing coil packs, Tps, ignitor, checked timing , grounds, all filters
throttle body the works. Finally I changed the cps and that was the culprit.
I orederd a cxracing 3" dp and test cat, turboxs boost controller, blitz bov(not installed) since I work most of the time, all my work is done late at night in my appartments parking lot so pics are scarce. her are some more up to date pics. lots of TLC to get her to this point.

p1431365_4.jpg

p1431365_5.jpg

can you tell I dont have a garage lol
p1431365_6.jpg

p1431365_7.jpg

Right now I have a major boost leak causing the car to hit fuel cut at like 2200 rpm its crazy. so as soon as i can scrounge up the money Im buying a cxracing intercooler kit, and upgrading all the engine bay bolts to stainless allen heads. I will post some up to date engine pics soon.
recently I polished the valve covers and 3000 pipe. and rewired some bobo ricer crap.

This is the cars that inspires me, I hate to copy some body but this is what Im shooting for rims and all

p1431365_8.jpg

I plan on a 1jz swap as soon as the 7m gives me too much trouble.
aiming about 400 rwhp. very streetable

looking forward to hearing from you guys thanx.....

Last edited:

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
you have no idea, But he cant touch this one its in my name and i rub it in his face whenever possible...
the worst part is that some 18 year old girl drives it around now, I hope she blows a head gasket

7mgte3sgte

Wreckinyard scavenger
Apr 5, 2005
Boyd, Texas
home.earthlink.net
don't hope that on any owner bro just realize you did a damn good job rebuilding it and its still alive and that will make you put more love into this one and appreciate it more then the first one you had

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
the bad thing is that I know its not going to blow, I had some serious bank in that car.
And yeah I do appreciate this one more because of it, but its still a touchy subject.
anyways today I finished building my short throw shifter, Im going to install and post pics this evening. Hopefully I can trouble shoot why im getting no spark too.
Its starting to get cold and I have no garage...

7mgte3sgte

Wreckinyard scavenger
Apr 5, 2005
Boyd, Texas
home.earthlink.net
ok no spark issues can very simple if you do a diagnostic tree or if you dont bang your head against the wall and when you figure out it was easy you will kick a puppy lol anyways have you got the tsrm for the car downloaded or saved in your favorites? if you do go to the ignition section then find diagnostic and use the trouble tree will help you out lots

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
Ok so the spark issue was finger lickin puppy kickin easy. lol when I was replacing all my bolts with allen heads, a wire in my ignitor plug backed out. Duh no spark....

p1432011_1.jpg

my diy short shifter turned out just right, I had so much fun I made an extra from my parts car.

p1432011_2.jpg

What do yall think about this gague pod i made to replace the ash tray, i built it from fibergalss but im not sure if I want to use it.....

p1432011_3.jpg

Like all other center console lids mine was trashed, so I made one from fiberglass

p1432011_4.jpg

heres an up to date engine shot, it still looks like a dirty cluster f*#k imo but Im workin on it, intercooler kits next.

p1432011_5.jpg

I thought I fixed my valve cover leak but sadly I was wrong, Im going to buy new gaskets and clean out my spark plug vally. its got some oil in it again! And for some reason my power steering pump wines even though the resivour is full(only when turning)

and does anybody knoow if removing the cruise control will affect the factory boost gauge? I pluged the hose and unplugged the unit.:1zhelp:

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
Just a small update, Ive been having some issues with my car staying in fail safe mode.
I currently have two codes 41 TPS and 52 KS. The car seems to cut out around 2k when driving.
JDUB has brought it to my attention that code 41 concerns vta (throttle position)and the ECU sets a fixed TB plate open angle when it goes into fail safe mode.
Thus causing the above problem.
Tomorrow when I get off work Im going to break out the ohm meter and run some test to make sure it not the wiring.
I'll post as soon as I finish

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Nice build. You seem very devoted on the mk3,like we all are !
I think in the next 2-3 years you are gonna take this white stock mk3
and make it a 'Beast'.
Good luck with your project...
And I hope you find a warm place to work on your supra.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
thanks guys this car means alot to me, A smart guy once told me
"a man with more time than money can be a dangerous thing"
^^^^ this is me, I can always find something to do....

today I was testing the tps,and checking the vta wire for continuity, buttoned everything up and boom problem solved no more stalling, took a easy trip around the complex, ran like a dream( didnt really push it).
opened the hood and was checking some things, my tps was unplugged!!!!
I guess it was a bad TPS sensor the whole time. As soon as I get some extra money Ill buy a new one and this should fix my biggest issue...

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
money = issue
Its a work in progress, I need a intercooler kit and lowering springs first.
At the moment I cant justify spending that money on a "real Boost Gague"
btw sunpro was free

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
Hey guys its been a min. since an update(moving is a bitch).
since i couldnt afford to tow it, I busted my ass ang got her ready to drive.
I learned a couple things along the way.
1: No matter the battery charge, the starter dosent want to engage when cold.
2: Cooling system works great.
3: I think I have either a large boost leak or my wastegate is opening early.
right as I hit boost, the car stops pulling but the turbo spools and gague reads +boost
4: I need new brakes....

has anybody had problem #3? (turbo has been upgraded)
now that im settled into my new place Im gonna get back to work and make some more progress..

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Nice to have met you Jessie. I had to leave after my first attempt at a pass down the track. I broke second gear and I had a long drive home without it.

Number three is probably a boost leak. You can make a boost leak tester and see if it leaks. Let me know if I can help.

Did you send me a text about a cps? I got one from someone, but it didn't say who it was from.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
suprahero;1444840 said:
Nice to have met you Jessie. I had to leave after my first attempt at a pass down the track. I broke second gear and I had a long drive home without it.

Number three is probably a boost leak. You can make a boost leak tester and see if it leaks. Let me know if I can help.

Did you send me a text about a cps? I got one from someone, but it didn't say who it was from.

yeah I wish we could have talked a little more but there was alot goin on.
I saw your run but had no idea you lost 2nd...
Let me know if you want help swapping out the tranny