Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I've debated putting louvers on mine as well, but I can't decide if I want to or not. Mine is completely stock appearing from the outside aside from the tint as well so I'm not sure how it would go with it. Where did you get the louvers, and how do they mount to the car?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Rollus;2028321 said:
Sorry but, I don't like it.
Just my taste.

Enjoy it by the way ;-)

I hear you on that. I'm still on the fence, but decided to get them, since I can always get rid of them if I decide not to use them.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Silver MK3;2028352 said:
I've debated putting louvers on mine as well, but I can't decide if I want to or not. Mine is completely stock appearing from the outside aside from the tint as well so I'm not sure how it would go with it. Where did you get the louvers, and how do they mount to the car?

I got them off Ebay.
They attatch with three sets of flat stainless plates that bond to the glass by 3M double adhesive. Each plate has a threaded post that sticks up to pass through the edge of the louver, and then uses a black acorn nut to fasten it. The top two plates, however, are hinged, so that you can realease the lower nuts, and swing the whole louver set up for window cleaning. The system avoids making any permanent holes in the car.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Tinted my tails.

p2029253_1.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hey Drogon- I used a vinyl film, rather than painting them. I want to be able to "untint" them later, if I changed my mind.
The vinyl I a bit hard to work with, simply because you can get bubbles underneath it, and it's a hassle to work them out. But they came out ok.
All you need to do it, is a spray bottle for water, and a hairdryer or heat gun.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Very nice that helped a lot! Thanks! I'm debating spraying them with VHT nite shade or shadow w/e but spraying them from the inside. What tint % did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
It's referred to as "light smoke" tint, 90% light transmission.
It was only like a $12 total investment, so no harm done, if it didn't work.
People say that if you use nightshade, you have to spray clearcoat over it. I didn't want to deal with that.
The professional method is to have someone spray real clearcoat, mixed with a touch of black paint.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Normally I'm with Rollus on the Louvers thing but damn they look sharp on your car!

Coming along nicely my man! I'm excited for you to get her all sorted out so you can just enjoy the ride!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
It will still be awhile. While the engine seems to run pretty well(a slight hesitation on hard throttle jabs), I have a lot of bodywork to do.
Maybe it's time for a gameplan update:

The initial plan was, to do the interior as stage 3, but I have decided to get into the bodywork instead.
The reason being, that I can't actually reinstall the entire interior anyway, until the paintwork is done. SO the final order of things:

Suspension
Drivetrain
Bodywork/ paint prep
Interior

The next major planned work is:
Repair/ mod the Kaminari whale tail
Strip/ mod 92 bumper with S2 airguide insert
Weld shut antenna hole
Door dent repair on drivers side, or replace.
Mod/ prep hood

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
supraguy@aol;2029736 said:
It will still be awhile. ....
Suspension
Drivetrain
Bodywork/ paint prep
Interior

Weld shut antenna hole
Mod/ prep hood

Seems rather lengthy, but hopefully, by your standards, done before the next cataclysm. Say maybe before we're struck by the next massive asteroid? ;-).
Don't feel bad, because you're way ahead of me; one of my supras has been on jack stands since Jan2005. Whew...

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
supraguy@aol;2029736 said:
It will still be awhile. ....
Suspension
Drivetrain
Bodywork/ paint prep
Interior

Weld shut antenna hole
Mod/ prep hood

Seems rather lengthy, but hopefully, by your standards, done before the next cataclysm. Say maybe before we're struck by the next massive asteroid? ;-).
Don't feel bad, because you're way ahead of me; one of my supras has been on jack stands since Jan2005. Whew...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
WHAT?
Are you in the GA Supra owners page on FB? I live in Lawrenceville.
We've been trying to set up 'repair meets', where- instead of having a meet to look at the Suras that DO run, we can get together at someone's house, and work on one that doesn't.
That way, the running supras come to the meet, and we help get another one on the road. You sound like a candidate.

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
This repair meet was talked about here in perth, when i first got into supras, as one of the guys liked to procrastinate with his build. Sadly hes ending up parting it.

Would have been alot of fun

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
First...Lemme just say that I apologize for the (newest) lengthy delay to my updates.
As you veterans know by now- If a build thread stalls out for a lengthy period of time, it often means that the owner has run out of motivation, and given up/ sold the car.

NOT SO!

...so don't worry. The car is STILL my baby, and WILL be done.
"Yeah, yeah...I don't see any updates...no progress on it..." And you would be right. Mostly.
I got sidetracked in redoing my kitchen for the past 6 months(DAMN...it's been that long?), and it's nearing completion.

From this:

p2038864_1.jpg

To this:

p2038864_2.jpg

Besides- who wants to stand out in the garage in winter temperatures, trying to get fiberglass to cure? No me.
But soon, there should be some visible progress. Still working on the Kaminari tail, and trying to glass in a spot for a third brake light:
Made some internal brackets, with welded-in 8mm nuts. This shows one bracket exposed, and one installed inside:

p2038864_3.jpg

I did this, because if I just had 4 bolts going straight into the fiberglass, anyone could come along and literally rip it off. Plus it had too much flex at highway speeds.
This way, it's held down from the inside. Next, I cut the back edge out where I wanted to place the brake light, and slid the brackets in, then threaded bolts into them, so that
I could pull them up snug against the underside(as you can see above). But for installation on the car, I need those brackets to stay right where they are, so...

p2038864_4.jpg

Spray in low expansion foam, to 'lock them' in place.
Along with that, I also sprayed some as a backing material for the brake light area. Next, is to trim it, and glass it in:

p2038864_5.jpg

p2038864_6.jpg

This is as far as I've gotten. Next, I will put in some fiberglass filler, cover with foil, and press the brakelight into position, to mold it to shape a bit. Then more sanding,
shaping and filling, till it's ready for primer.

NOW, I just wanna say, that there WILL be a renewed flow of updates on this car. I have a small pile of parts travelling in UPS trucks as we speak,
and another cool 'rare' item to show off, once I receive it. Thanks again, to all of you who take the time to read my stuff. I put it all down here to motivate myself, and hopefully some of you guys,
because I get so much motivation out of your threads.

::salute::

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Badass transformation man! Killer job, cool things with the wale tail. Been waiting for updates on your build deff motivational gald to hear you're not giving up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk