Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, I haven't been driving mine, but I have been trying to tune it.
Yesterday, I was busy messing with the idle, and I see that I'm suddenly leaking oil out of the front timing cover 'weep hole'.
So I pulled the rad(which needed to be tig'ed anyway), the covers and everything else. But I can't really tell whats been leaking.
There was just the slightest amount of oil, and you could see a teensy trace near the cams and the main. So, I just pulled tham all, and am going to swap them out tomorrow or the next day.
In the meantime, I have ordered a 5MGE oil pump pulley to replace the 7M unit. Now I just need to find someone who can fab the proper spacer.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, here's an update. I ordered mine from Toyotapartsonline. They later emailed me, saying that they couldn't find one, so i have cancelled my plan to swap out the gear. after talking to Toyotanos though, he says that he doesn't feel that its a necessary mod anyway, unless you have big cams and double springs.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Just the smallest of updates:
I began removing parts today to get the head off, and I'll probably finish up the removal tomorrow.
Here's the #1 & 2 spark plugs, when I pulled the coil assembly off:

p2012676_1.jpg

I just don't get it. The valve covers are secure, and the galley plugs are sealed. I suspect that this head might be cracked somewhere.
I'm thinking of dropping my backup head off at the machine shop, to have it decked and get a valve job done...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
For what its worth I always seem to get some oil in there. No matter how well I seal everything, some oil always ends up in there, either from the valve covers or the hex plugs. I've just come to accept it lol.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, I pulled the head this afternoon.
Both surfaces looked good, as did the gasket. In fact, the gasket looks perfect- none of the viton even broke.
However, it seemed like the entire surface of the gasket was oily, as was the deck surface, so I think that the oil passages weren't sealing,
and that oil was squeezing out between the head and block. Now I have to decide what i want to do-
Tear down the current head and have it checked by the shop, or build the backup head. Not sure, but I'll fiugre it out.

p2012778_1.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm trying to imagine how you could physically have an oily surface on the headgasket, both sides. Doesn't seem possible unless your head "floated" and I can't imagine that happening. I can imagine a hairline crack in the head that could allow the oil into 1 and 2, but that should be visible.

Gremlins... You gotta love them... So far I have had 3 of these types of issues where it didn't make logical sense. Luckily I had a team of mechanics spend a lot if time on it... So I didn't have to use my limited knowledge to troubleshoot. Hope it turns out being something small...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Not sure what you mean by the third part in the middle of the valve cover?

As i mentioned, the valley cap bolts were all tight.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I used big drain plug gaskets for those.

It possible with the new fluid it could have leaked out and then in the time it sat the trail disappeared.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
No real exciting updates guys, sorry- I've been very lazy with the car lately.
I did reinstall the head with the new gasket, and found that previously, I had installed one of the cam seals with the lip folded over. Hoping that had something to do with the leak.
Also, I decided to have my injectors tested at FIC in FL, while everything was apart. They called me today, and said that they all flowed within 1% of each other with good patterns(@700cc), so they didn't recommend that I
pay for the full cleaning process. Very stand-up thing to do- saving me money.

I should get them back in the next few days, but it'll be at least another week till I touch the car again- have to go to NY for the weekend.