Project 9.xx Street MKIV TT Supra

2jzFUN

Nov 23, 2010
Twin Cities
I picked up a project car that has 6 cylinders and 2 turbos (for now). Should be fun.

supra.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

I just wanted to say thanks to www.maperformance.com for all of the help and service they have given me so far on this car. They have helped me order all of that parts and wonderful deals. Even know they do not yet have Toyota on their website, I just called them up with what I need or a part number and they get for me at awesome prices! MAP will be the main supplier for all of the parts I need and also the service for the car like rebuilding the motor as well.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

I got a good deal and wanted another project. This car isnt perfect by any means but that's what I wanted. Something cheaper and needed some work. I have the front bumper and the side skirts and am going to keep them off because when I get to it, I'm going to go over the entire car and get it repainted. It is a 1993.5 targa tt auto. Ya Ya ya its an auto but it will be a fun auto.

Im going to go through the motor and everything else when it is out. I will also sooner or later make it a single turbo and try and get some power out of it. I needed a change from DSM's so why not this.

36.jpg

28.jpg

113.jpg

44.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Got the main and rod bearings along with the thrust washers. Next are pistons and rods.
bearings.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Here is a new cam plug cover I picked up along with kyb agx rear shocks. The rods pictured are Crower rods rated over 1000hp but they are for sale and I have another set in mind.
cover.jpg

shocks.jpg

rods.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Well a buddy and I started taking the power plant out of this thing and I tell you this is a bunch of crap literally. This is quite different then the DSM's I am used to. Im going to put all of the useless garbage in a 55 gallon garbage can and see how much shit was not needed and the weight savings of it all too. We worked on it for at least 5-6 hours and I would say have it half to 3/4 out.

I also ordered custom made pistons from CP which are 9.5:1 compression :) too bad it will take a month to get them. The engine is going to MAP to be torn down, machined, bored over, looked at, this and that, and re-assembled.

The next steps are to actually get the engine out, bring it to MAP, tear all of the stuff off and out of the car for a full paint job, order cams, valves, springs and retainers, gaskets, turbo, manifold, tuning software of choice, piping for a custom 3" intercooler and 3.5" exhaust setup, tires... ok Im stopping right there because I can already see this thing costing me but it will be worth it. Photos of progress to follow.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Well the motor and trans are out! Thanks a million to Brandon for busting ass and a few knuckles on helping me get this hog out of there. Now the fun begins. Here are a few photos.

DSC_0307.JPG

DSC_0308.JPG

DSC_0313.JPG

DSC_0315.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

DSC_0317.JPG

DSC_0318.JPG

DSC_0320.JPG

DSC_0332.JPG

DSC_0333.JPG

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Well some updates here. The motor was out and taken apart from the tranny and all of the other goodies off of it so it was a bare long block. I brought it into MAP for it to be hot tanked, machined, and assembled. The first thing that they will be doing to it is tearing it all apart which I think is already done. Getting it ready for the machining and assembly of the short block is next on the list. Some more decisions as far as parts go and a little more $ and Ill be able to start into the head.

The block will be built with Manley Turbo-Tough rods. It will also have CP custom ordered 9.5:1 compression pistons, ARP main studs, and all ACL race main and rod bearings as well as thrust washers. They are great to deal with when trying to order custom parts like I did with my CP pistons.

I am trying to figure out when my choice of a 6765 journal bearing Precision turbo will spool on my setup so I can figure out the best torque converter for the street and strip where I do not have to use n02 to spool.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

I got in my custom CP pistons. They were custom spec 9.5:1 compression ratio CP pistons. I also decided not to go with the Crower rods I have and to instead go with Manley Turbo-Tough rods which will work for my build.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Here is a quick shot of the crank that came back from cleaning and polishing.
PB242237.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Here are the pistons ready for a series of different coatings being applied to them.
Here is a link to the process being done from the place coating the pistons. Piston Coating Here
I am also having the oil shedding applied to them as well for more street use and longevity.
PB242236.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Block machining has been started :)
PB242239.jpg

PB242238.jpg

2jzFUN

Nov 23, 2010
Twin Cities
Well I think that I am going to go with a set of gsc s2 cams, slight port clean up job on the head (stage 3), and I just need to figure out what valves and springs are the best. Shimless buckets? This is new to me so ill be reading up on the best combination.

2jzFUN

Nov 23, 2010
Twin Cities
The pistons should be done and Im just waiting for photos of them from the shop. Will bug them for photos tomorrow.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
And the fun begins... ;)

You're off to a great start! Good luck with everything and look forward to seeing progress pictures/updates.

Jeff

2jzFUN

Nov 23, 2010
Twin Cities
Well I decided to send out the new rods I got and have them coated as well in the oil shed coating. Should be getting them back soon and then assembly.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
I am trying to figure out when my choice of a 6765 journal bearing Precision turbo will spool on my setup so I can figure out the best torque converter for the street and strip where I do not have to use n02 to spool.

Have you thought about throwing a quick spool valve in with that billet 6765. Here is a video of it with and without the quick spool valve.

[video=youtube;UbH1_JU8v7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbH1_JU8v7A[/video]

DaveH

Feb 25, 2006
Fargo, ND
The pistons still have a fair amount of dish in them, I was thinking at 9.5:1 they would have less dish. Good stuff tho, they sure look nice. :)

2jzFUN

Nov 23, 2010
Twin Cities
That is what I will be doing is the QSV and the journal 6765 but I am still unsure what the best converter is even by looking at that. Looks like 15psi at 3800rpm but how much lower then a 3800 stall should I go with good launching results?