profec question

pete.w

Mar 13, 2008
birmingham
i know its the same old crappy question but im getting nowhere with the setting up. my settings are as follows -
gain = 19%
set = 1.74
warning = 1.20
warning L = 14%

i dont understand what the set gain is and im assueming 1.74 is psi (1.2bar)
could someone comfirm thisfor me and advise me on these figures please (even if your advise is start again lol, but stil need comfirmation of set gain figure being 1.74 psi ?????????????

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
pete.w;1347094 said:
i know its the same old crappy question but im getting nowhere with the setting up. my settings are as follows -
gain = 19%
set = 1.74
warning = 1.20
warning L = 14%

i dont understand what the set gain is and im assueming 1.74 is psi (1.2bar)
could someone comfirm thisfor me and advise me on these figures please (even if your advise is start again lol, but stil need comfirmation of set gain figure being 1.74 psi ?????????????

What is your start boost set at? Or should I say what psi would you like to have your car run at?

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
First off you need to be using the manual mode NOT the automatic. The set boost is the boost you want to run 17.4 psi(for an example) Then you need to set your start boost which has to be -2.8psi than the set boost. So if you want to run 17.4 psi...... 17.4 - 2.8= 14.6 start boost. The start boost is when your wastegate kicks in. Then after you set that, start low on the gain. Make some runs on the highway and change the gain and see what feels best. If I remember correctly, while your trying to set the gain, you need to do pulls in one gear (4th is good) to see how each gain value change affects the car .

pete.w

Mar 13, 2008
birmingham
sorry for being thick but wats auto and manual mode ? and the start boost is the set gain isunt it and mine is set at 1.74 but aint sure if that means 1.74 in psi

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
You're in kPa mode still.

Do this first:
Turn it to OFF mode. Now hold down the select button, and within 2 seconds press the mode button 2 times.

Now you're in psi mode rather then kPa. Be aware that the psi is shown in x10 value. Therefore a displayed number "174" is indicative of 17.4 psi.

Now "set" is your boost level. It is displayed as a percentage as it controls the duty rate of the solenoid. 0% is stock boost and 100% is death to everything. Start low and adjust accordingly.

"Gain" is your boost consistency (solenoid sensitivity). The manual explains that if your boost is spiking, lower the gain. If your boost increases with rpm or falls off at high rpms, raise the gain. Also note that even if you don't change your "set" level, increasing gain can increase boost pressure.

Now for your question. "Set gain" is your boost response mode. Basically, it controls when your wastegate starts opening. This option is set according to psi, assuming you have switched it over to psi mode already. If you set the set gain too high, you will risk spiking/overboosting. If it's set low the wastegate will open more like normal.
Personally, I set my set gain higher (about 6psi when max boost is 12psi) on my "Hi" setting to get that punch, and I set it lower for my "Lo" setting, for DDing where I often only boost a few pounds around town, from light to light. That gives it a smoother powerband imo. All this is on a 7M w/ stock CT. Adjust accord to your setup.

Anyway, if you need to know anything else about it just ask, I've got the manual in hand.

oowee623

SCS
Aug 13, 2007
Long Beach, CA
i followed these instructions i got from evolutionm.net. i was able to get consistent boost using these instructions

1. Set it to the "safest" of the settings that does not trip your limiter. To do this, tune the unit to your desired boost pressure in fifth gear.

2. Tune the "Lo" and "Hi" settings corresponding to having the boost maximized during the low gears and during the high gears. This would require you to manually hit the button to switch to the "Hi" setting when you shift to third gear or whatever you started tuning your "Hi" setting at. This is why Greddy makes the wireless remote switch that straps to your steering wheel to switch between "Hi" and "Lo" settings.

The following steps should be taken in exactly this order, taking into consideration all of the previous information:
1. Change boost pressure units to psi if so desired (see manual).
2. Set WARNING to your desired boost pressure plus 1 psi (about 7 kPa) (see above).
3. Set START BOOST (SET GAIN) to your desired boost pressure minus 4 psi (about 28 kPa)(see above).
4. Clear PEAK boost value (see above).
5. Set LAST BOOST to ON (see above).
6. Set GAIN to 0 (see above).
7. Set SET to 30% (see above).
8. Set LIMITER to SET minus 4% (26% if you followed #7).
9. Test for boost falloff at high rpm. You should probably do this in a wide open area with no other cars nearby and preferably no cops. It is also good to have somebody in the car with you that can watch the gauge while you concentrate on not wrecking your car. If there is no boost falloff, then go to #10. If there is boost falloff, then increase the GAIN by 5% and test again. Keep in mind that when you increase the GAIN value, the corresponding boost that you will go up to will be higher even if you leave the SET value alone. Repeat until the boost pressure does not decrease, or until you feel surging. If you feel surging and the boost pressure still decreases (not sure if this is possible) then decrease to the last level that you did not feel surging at.
10. Increase SET by 2% and adjust LIMITER accordingly, then test again. Keep increasing by 2% until desired boost level is obtained.
11. Increase START BOOST (SET GAIN) by 1 increment and test until surging is felt or the WARNING level is hit and the display turns red, then decrease to the previous setting.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
It'll only show the decimal in kPa mode. When displaying a boost figure, it'll also say "x100" with "kPa" right below it, off to the right of the screen.

Edit: On your original post, you state you have your set value at 1.74, but the set value should be a percentage... I'm confused on this.

pete.w

Mar 13, 2008
birmingham
think im finaly getting somewhere now (ten galons of fuel later) my new settings are as follows
set =55
gain =14
set gain =11

feel ok to drive and reading around 145 which i prosume to be 14.5 psi.
what do you recon to my figures ?

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
It sounds about right... Yes, 145 is 14.5 psi.

As long as you're happy with it then it'll work. If you want more boost turn up the set, follow the advice in this thread, and adjust it how you need to.