Problems with Starter, again

I've been having problems with the starter for a few years now in cold weather. Usually I just give it a few raps with a wrench or something, and it starts fine after that. Today however, that did not work. Tried a few times, got nothing, so decided to wait till it had warmed up a bit outside. Came back to try again, now instead of getting nothing, I get the rapid clicking coming from the starter.

The smaller wire connected to seems to be in fine condition, however the plastic piece holding the connection together had broken, so it slid out of place rather easily. The wire could also slide back and forward inside the connector. So I took the connector off, and attached the wire directly to the post on the starter. Same click click click. The smaller wire is getting 6 volts when I am trying to start it. Is that how many it's supposed to be getting? I've heard that it is most often the wiring, and not the starter itself. I'm hoping this is the case, but what would I check next?

Thanks

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Revolver;923995 said:
The battery is reading at 9 volts. I havn't had any problems from it before with anything being weak or dim, so I assumed it was low from the repeated starting attempts?

Loose/weak contacts?

I am not there to see it. Loose battery cables will cause the battery to lose its charge.

Worn contacts inside, the ones that carry current, make the starter "wear out". When you hit it with the hammer, they make contact from vibration. It only works for a while.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Charge your battery to at least 12 volts, and try again. If this doesn't help, you should consider Nick's advice and change your contacts.

Nick, would you mind giving us all a little education on changing contacts. I have heard this is more often the problem, and contacts can be had for somewhere near $10. I'd love it if somebody would do a tech thread on changing contacts. I know Noah89T has done it, and he is close to me. I have several starters laying around, so maybe we could do the tech thread.

I will get the battery charged up and see how that goes. Last time I went to try it, the clicking on the starter had stopped, and it had gone back to a single click under the glove box (which is the relay right?).

By jumping it off, you mean running a wire directly from the terminal on the starter to the battery?

demonofspeed

Jan 27, 2008
Texas
Revolver;924282 said:
I will get the battery charged up and see how that goes. Last time I went to try it, the clicking on the starter had stopped, and it had gone back to a single click under the glove box (which is the relay right?).

By jumping it off, you mean running a wire directly from the terminal on the starter to the battery?

I meant by using another car, with jumper cables. Thats what I do anyway. It gets it started but thats just temporary.