Problems with a 88 Turbo (oil in sparkplugs)

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
So i just recently bought a 88 Turbo Supra for my senior project. I bought it for 500 dollars knowing that the car would not start up. I plan on Posibly just buying a new engine, but heres the deal.

I opened up all the sparkplug covers and theres oil everywhere the spark plugs are just chillin down in the whole with oil everywhere, i syphoned it all out and pulled the sparkplugs out and down in the cylinders theres oil down there too. Is this signs of a locked up engine? any one know anything about this?

Thanks,
Jesse

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
blk92T said:
if all your plugs are oiled up it'll have a hell of a time starting.
if there is a bunch of oil down in the block will it still start up it will just be a fog machine? Because i cant get it to start at all. i think i might get some cheap plugs and put them in and see if i can start up but i dont know if it will. How can you tell if the block is locked up dont you just try and turn the crank with a breaker bar?

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
well when i tried to start it all it did was kinda click i didnt hear it trying to turn over, so i will probably go down to wallmart or something and get some cheap plugs and try that.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
make sure your battery connections are good and your starter is in working order too. when my batt connections got corroded, all it would do was click. after a good cleaning i was up and running again.

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
hmmm, well i took all the sparkplugs out and there is oil everywhere and then i just tried to get the engine to turn and the engine wont turn im preaty sure its locked up =S. Does toyota sell 7mgte's?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
im sure they'd love to sell you one. but then you have to ask yourself, "how much do i really like my left nut, and is ebay a good choice?"

a better option would be to search for a cheap car around here, usually the 7ms have blown head gaskets but it gives you the chance to rebuild it for the better.

if this isnt an option, give jarco and driftmotion a call (i think driftmotion still does motors) but they should be able to give you a good rebuilt one ready to go. all at a cheapr than dealership price.

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
yea but i do not have the room to have another car lol. some of those ebay motors dont look bad 30-60k on imported motor for about 1,000 dollars. Do you have a website for jarco or driftmotion. i have honestly never heard of them. haha i will check toyota they probably want 3,000 or so for one but atleast it has 0miles =)

LexingtonBlue

May 30, 2005
Tacoma
Happened to my previous '89 T. Mine started up everytime (w/ oil filled up in spark plug compartment), so I'd suggest that you check all other typical known starting issues w/ supras. ie: ignition switch, relay, battery and battery terminals, ground wires, starter, etc...

A temporary method that I used to aid in start up was: hook/attach/tap a long piece of wire onto the starter connector (you gotta reach down there and find the connector, it lays on top of starter.). Then, with the keys in the "on" position, touch the "hot" wire I just hooked onto starter connector to positive battery terminal. Engine SHOULD turn over and starts (remove "hot" wire from terminal). If it only turns over but does not start after a few tries, then it could be bad crank position sensor (or just bad wiring there), and/or other causes. But let's assume that everything else is OK, then the engine should turn over and starts. If it doesn't do anything and you don't hear anything from the starter, then it's prolly locked up. Unless starter is gone....so many probs. LOL....but try it in the order that I just described. :biglaugh:

NOTE: If everything goes well then I'd suggest you find a solution to prevent oil from getting up into the spark plug compartment. Loss and/or inadequate oil will result in ROD KNOCK.....I found out just in time for TOO LATE! :cry: :icon_evil