Problem with supra not running

JERX88

MKIII OWNER
Oct 24, 2008
Cedarburg, WI
It came that time this year to bring the supra out of storage. I went to install the new optima battery specifically ordered for my car. Without thinking, I went to connect the battery. It ends up the battery wasnt the correct one, and the positive and negative were infact reversed. Well, pop goes the weasel. I looked at the fuses and I needed to replace the fusible link. I fixed that problem easily and had the battery sent back to recieve the correct one.

Everything is hooked up correctly and i am making good connection. When I try to start the car it turns over but doest start. My friends and I were confused with the problem. So far we have done the following.

Checked for spark (grounded the plugs and no spark). They were dry and didnt smell of fuel.

We thought it might be a problem with the ecu being fried, so we hooked up a 7mge ecu (onto my 7mgte) and once again tried to start it, and the same happened as with the original ecu.

I would like to be back on the road soon.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Neal

Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
You plugged the 7MGE ECU in to a 7MGTE car and hoped that it will start? May be theres something i dont know! scratches head!.

Try TSRM and buy your self a good multi meter and start by testing power to the ECU.
Does your dash get power at all?

JERX88

MKIII OWNER
Oct 24, 2008
Cedarburg, WI
Neal;1284696 said:
You plugged the 7MGE ECU in to a 7MGTE car and hoped that it will start? May be theres something i dont know! scratches head!.

Try TSRM and buy your self a good multi meter and start by testing power to the ECU.
Does your dash get power at all?

As far as the ecu, we figured we would give it a shot... I didnt expect anything from it, but wasnt agianst trying.

The dash gets power, the whole car gets power, I can flip up the headlights, I have lights going on when I try to start, I can change the position of the seat with the lumbar, and boost gauge goes from -4 to 0 when key is in and I believe oil gauge moves as well.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
JERX88;1284684 said:
It came that time this year to bring the supra out of storage. I went to install the new optima battery specifically ordered for my car. Without thinking, I went to connect the battery. It ends up the battery wasnt the correct one, and the positive and negative were infact reversed. Well, pop goes the weasel. I looked at the fuses and I needed to replace the fusible link. I fixed that problem easily and had the battery sent back to recieve the correct one.

Everything is hooked up correctly and i am making good connection. When I try to start the car it turns over but doest start. My friends and I were confused with the problem. So far we have done the following.

Checked for spark (grounded the plugs and no spark). They were dry and didnt smell of fuel.

We thought it might be a problem with the ecu being fried, so we hooked up a 7mge ecu (onto my 7mgte) and once again tried to start it, and the same happened as with the original ecu.

I would like to be back on the road soon.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hate to tell you this, but your security module is most likely fried. It's acting like your alarm has gone off, and has killed the ignition. the car will never start until you replace it, or remove it and do the workaround. It happened on my stepson's NA, because the battery was hooked up backward. I forget what wire you have to ground for the workaround, but someone here should know it.

Neal

Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
JERX88;1284709 said:
As far as the ecu, we figured we would give it a shot... I didnt expect anything from it, but wasnt agianst trying.

The dash gets power, the whole car gets power, I can flip up the headlights, I have lights going on when I try to start, I can change the position of the seat with the lumbar, and boost gauge goes from -4 to 0 when key is in and I believe oil gauge moves as well.

What did you figure mate a distributer based ECU will work with the CAS based ECU.
...Or is it just simillar to not checking something simple as to check what terminal i'm pluging the cable to.

DUDE take a step back and think twice what you are doing. Otherwise you will be digging your self deeper into a money pit.

P.S: Dont take me wrong.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
rayall01;1284732 said:
Hate to tell you this, but your security module is most likely fried. It's acting like your alarm has gone off, and has killed the ignition.

In the interest of accuracy the factory theft deterrent system only inhibits cranking, something the poster states his engine will do...

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
First off...Well done.

+ = Red
- = Black

Second...your not the first.

So you changed one of the FL's because it was infact 'burnt' from the crossed battery terminals? What one? Did you check all the other ones, and ALL the relevant fuses?

So no spark and no fuel, correct? No CIL either I take it?(Key on, Engine off...well obviously;))

Something to think about...If you changed the FL, it probably did its job. Maybe this no start problem is related to sitting all winter:icon_conf

If your CIL works, CHECK YOUR CODES. Time/Money invested compared to useful information learned. 15 Seconds/0$ = Priceless!!!

JERX88

MKIII OWNER
Oct 24, 2008
Cedarburg, WI
dumbo;1285084 said:
First off...Well done.

+ = Red
- = Black

Second...your not the first.

So you changed one of the FL's because it was infact 'burnt' from the crossed battery terminals? What one? Did you check all the other ones, and ALL the relevant fuses?

So no spark and no fuel, correct? No CIL either I take it?(Key on, Engine off...well obviously;))

Something to think about...If you changed the FL, it probably did its job. Maybe this no start problem is related to sitting all winter:icon_conf

If your CIL works, CHECK YOUR CODES. Time/Money invested compared to useful information learned. 15 Seconds/0$ = Priceless!!!

It was the ALT FL that I replaced. Could I be having problems with the Main fuse as well? how do I check if that one has blown? How do I go about checking the codes?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
JERX88;1285098 said:
It was the ALT FL that I replaced. Could I be having problems with the Main fuse as well? how do I check if that one has blown? How do I go about checking the codes?

Codes

jetjock may burn me on this one...but KISS;)

http://cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=29

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

I would check things in this order.
1. Does your CIL come on.
2. If yes, check codes. If no codes, let the fun begin.
3. If no, follow the second link.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
when your cranking on it, try "giving it some gas", as in press the gas pedal a few times. that might be all it needs. i know that if my car has been sitting for a while that i need to do that to get the car to start

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Moy;1285222 said:
when your cranking on it, try "giving it some gas", as in press the gas pedal a few times. that might be all it needs. i know that if my car has been sitting for a while that i need to do that to get the car to start

doesn't help when there's no spark..............

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Moy;1285272 said:
Oops, guess I missed that part

Didn't know that... how come it seems to work for me then?

if your motor starts to 'catch' it will help, at least i know it does me quite a bit if i'm having trouble

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Moy;1285272 said:
Didn't know that... how come it seems to work for me then?

It's not working for you...it's a coincidence.
All that's required is to turn the key. ;)

On an EFI engine during start, the ECU selects a basic injector duration based on coolant temp and intake air temp. On engines like the 7M, a cold start injector is also used to increase fuel at low coolant temps. The accelerator pedal has no input fuel wise...it can increase air available to the engine, but that will just have the effect of leaning out the start (exactly when you don't need it).

An EFI engine has other methods of providing the correct amount of air to the motor...on the 7M it's the ISCV which steps full open on engine shutdown to correctly position for the next start. The only reason it *may* help is if the ISCV air path is clogged up and not providing enough air to the motor...that is it's own problem and needs to be fixed.

Once the motor starts (STA inactive) the gas pedal has an effect because the TPS provides input to the ECU.

I suspect the reason it's "working" for you is you have poor rest fuel pressure (insufficient fuel in the rail after a sit). It takes a few seconds for the FP to pressurize the rail...mean while you're pumping the gas. The rail pressurizes and bam, it starts...you think it's from pumping the gas...a typical logical fallacy.