Problem: water leaking into tail lights.

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
Anyone had this problem before? Water leaks into my left tail lights.. and I can already see the lower of the 3rd stripe getting a "green" color. I don't want to go through all the trouble of dismounting it.. is there a way to clean that, and dry it up, from the trunk? I should've used some sillicone when I swapped my 88's to 89-92 style... damn!

hot dayam mk3

Oct 17, 2005
you should of ordered new gaskets from toyota or use silicone sealer or even some thin weather strip

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
3M Strip-Caulk is pretty good too, but I hate the gooey residue you have to work so hard to remove... I'd just put some new gaskets on from Toyota. Also, yes you have to take the taillights out to clean them.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
cwapface said:
don't forget to check the seam where the red plastic meets the black surround, that is a good place for water to get in and drive you crazy

yes. there is a very easy fix for this. get some CLEAR RTV and fill in the seperated part with it.

the clear RTV makes a great seal, and when youre finished you could never tell that the lights leaked in the first place.

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
lagged said:
yes. there is a very easy fix for this. get some CLEAR RTV and fill in the seperated part with it.

the clear RTV makes a great seal, and when youre finished you could never tell that the lights leaked in the first place.
Where do you fidn this clear RTV? My drivers side tail is separating between the light and the surround.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
SupraMan1987 said:
Where do you fidn this clear RTV? My drivers side tail is separating between the light and the surround.

i think i used fish tank sealer (what i had around the house). its just clear silicone.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
buy new gaskets. i spent an hour removing silicone cuz the tard previous owner was too cheap to buy new gaskets. they're not expensive.