Problem removing crank pulley & clutch fan

dunnbeetle

Dec 11, 2005
Bemidji, MN
www.myspace.com
Wow it still kinda sucked with the breaker bar but I just got it, now I just need the 7mm bolts that I can use with the puller to get the pulley off....anyone know of a place to get them? If not i'll hafta chop one and weld it on another to make it longer, i woulda already done that cept I dont got a welder.

LilRedSupra

Soupy
May 8, 2006
Louisville, Ky
3 Prong crank pulley pullers are where it's at!!! Welding bolts to make them longer will only waste your time!

Wow it still kinda sucked with the breaker bar but I just got it, now I just need the 7mm bolts that I can use with the puller to get the pulley off....anyone know of a place to get them? If not i'll hafta chop one and weld it on another to make it longer, i woulda already done that cept I dont got a welder.

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
frank said:
Not a good idea. You don't want to pull outside of the rubber insert on a balancer.

Is the outside ring going to seperate from the inside? If it does, I'd say you have a faulty pulley. Its a clearance fit anyway with the pulley. Should slide right off with no problems.

In fact, the last time I pulled a 7m apart, I pulled the crank pulley off with my hands. Slides right off with no great force.

Doobs

Feb 1, 2006
Geelong, Australia
www.myspace.com
aljordan said:
Is the outside ring going to seperate from the inside? If it does, I'd say you have a faulty pulley. Its a clearance fit anyway with the pulley. Should slide right off with no problems.

In fact, the last time I pulled a 7m apart, I pulled the crank pulley off with my hands. Slides right off with no great force.

All me and my mate did to get ours off was put 2 flywheel bolts right in, and then put a bar in between them, and chocked it on the engine stand. came off with a decent sized breaker bar.

frank

Jan 2, 2006
BC
If it's a slide on fit there should be no problem. I withdraw my statement. I'm new to supras and was under the impression that they were an interference fit. (The need for a puller made me think that.)
The issue with pulling through the rubber on balancers is that you may separate the two halves, or you may damage the rubber causing the thing to fail at a later date.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I had to lightly tap it off, going all around with a rubber mallet, which started to crack the outside edges...

New 87 7mgte crank pulley anyone?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mine popped right off. no puller needed, though i had mine handy when i did the job, it just sat there. i pulled off the bolt, and it slid right off. :)

-shaef

dunnbeetle

Dec 11, 2005
Bemidji, MN
www.myspace.com
well I jus went and bought one that grabs the outside bc this thing jus aint comin off at all.....I jus went and used it and it worked pretty good. The only thing wrong was that it broke a few little pieces of the ac part of the pulley bc I didnt have it grabbed on there right, so watch out for that...I plan on getting a new pulley but if i wasnt to use the ac belt(which I dont) this pulley would still be fine, right?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Maybe if you got it rebalanced. If you look on your pulley you will see dimples in the back where material was removed to balance it originally. Breaking off some pieces will throw it out of balance.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I've torn down several 7M's myself, and have found both the pulleys and the bolts to sometimes be easy, and sometimes be a PIA. There's always a way to get that bolt off one way or the other. But with my shade tree ways, if the pulley doesn't pull off by hand, it's getting destroyed. Most of them can be pulled off by hand. Right now I have one extra, but i'm about to tear down another motor for rebuild, and may need it then.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I really don't understand the issue? Even if the pulley is stuck, there are four tapped holes in the pulley. Just use a standard steering wheel puller along with a couple of metric bolts. The timing belt cog has two tapped holes you can use for the same purpose! Why all the hammers? :icon_conf

Last edited: