Problem getting car to start, '87 7MGTE

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
I have a 7Mgte with 5 speed, sat for awhile, got it running. Car is all stock. 94K miles.

Recently replaced plugs and wires and fluids. New gas. Car always took a while to start when cold. Would crank at a fast speed for 10-15 seconds and then catch and sort of stumble to a start. Took it to a good shop and they could not get the car to start at all. They checked and said the plugs were the wrong ones (copper instead of platinum) They put in platinum plugs and the car started better, but still cranked for a long time when cold, before catching. Once going, it ran file. No codes. Popped an old coolant hose and the car sat for a couple of weeks waiting for the replacement hose. Replaced a bunch of hoses with new ones, accordion hose, pvc hoses, coolant plug, etc. Refilled radiator.

Car is back to cranking a long time and almost catching, but it won't start. Tried starting fluid in the 3000 pipe, but no dice. Checked all hoses that were replaced and they are all installed correctly. Checked other vacuum hoses and they look OK. No codes on the super monitor. Reset ECU, no change.

I know if I could just get it to start and warm up, I could drive it with no problem. Any suggestions or hints to get a reluctant motor to start?

Last edited:

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
It could be alot of things. Are you losing spark or it could be something with the fuel system, like the cold start injector. That is what it sounds like. I would rule out the loss of spark before moving on to the fuel. Make sure you are getting steady fire. Also check the cps connector, it is well known of the wires burning into at the connector. Pull on the wires a little not to hard and see if they try to come out.

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
It is hot here and I thought that the cold start injector only worked at colder temps.

It seems like a timing thing almost. It is so close to starting but just won't catch. Once running, it runs and idles perfect. It has really done this since I got it, only after cranking for a while, it would catch and start.

I can smell the fuel at the tailpipe after trying to crank it over a few times. Once it backfired through the intake so I know that there is some fuel...

The wiring on the car is very good, not mucked with. The wires at the CPS look very good. No codes being thrown.

Car went to the shop this morning, we will see what they find.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
codes?

And no, platinum's aren't the "right" spark plug, though Toyota recommend . In all reality copper is what you want in a turbo charged car or iridium according to some older, rather in depth discussions on this forum a while back. Plat's are at the bottom of the list. Either way, platinum iridium copper or other, it should start regardless. Your shop hustled you if anything.

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
IwantMKIII;1583211 said:
codes?

And no, platinum's aren't the "right" spark plug, though Toyota recommend . In all reality copper is what you want in a turbo charged car or iridium according to some older, rather in depth discussions on this forum a while back. Plat's are at the bottom of the list. Either way, platinum iridium copper or other, it should start regardless. Your shop hustled you if anything.

No codes, two days at the shop and they have not figured it out yet...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Sounds like the timing to me.. a backfire out the intake is usually from the timing being wrong.

+1 on the spark plug thing. It's a common misconception that the OEM knows best. The truth is, Chuck Norris knows best. Er... well. Just don't use platinum plugs. Toyota used them to extend maintenance intervals, not to enhance performance.

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
Well, the shop gave me back the coppers I had in it so I will keep them as a spare set. I was wishing that the plug replacement was the solution to the problem, but now, I am sure there is something else going on.

The fact that I got it to fire after sitting for months with 3 year old gas in it, must have been a miracle. Now with good gas, new plugs, wires and hoses, I can't get the damn thing to light off :nono: