problem after car has been sitting and after boost

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
Every morning(or anytime after its been sitting for more that 2.5hrs) i have to warm it up 5-10 minutes to get the idle to 600 and to make sure my A340 doesnt cry like a baby. So i got out everytime after its been sitting and let it warm up, when it finally gets to operating idle and almost operating temp by that time i put it in drive. it dies EVERY time at least once, it just boggs down and shuts off. I start it back up, or if i see it coming(it dying), i rev it to about 4500 twice quickly and it will run fine for the rest of the trip. I have nothing to base this theory on but i think it's a fuel issue, it smells strongly of fuel every time this happens, and last time i dynoed my car it was below 10.0 AFRs at times. The car also idles at 1000 for about 5 seconds after i have been driving it and the pull up to a stop light, not really an issue, just weird.
It also dies after boost sometimes, not all the time, after i get it sideways, or do donuts, or boost hard then come to a stop light it will die.

car is becoming my most unfavorite bastard child.

so this has already been posted but i never solved the problem, so im reposting.

Intake
MSD Wires
no EGR
no charcoal canister
no cruise control
ebay intercooler kit with SSQV
no ac
3" catless exhaust

only mods i could think of that could possibly make a difference

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
car was at 9degrees timing, changed it to the haynes manual reccomended 12degrees. didnt really get to drive it due to a short lunch break.....

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
sneakypete;920827 said:
the first thing i would do is check your codes

blinks non stop..................pretty sure i have a code 71 though....wait that means no codes i think.....

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Code 71 is EGR temp sensor problem for California certified cars only? Since you say the EGR is removed, this is hardly surprising. Won't be the cause of your problems though. Is your SSQV recirculated?