problem after big intercooler install

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Hey everyone,

After installing a large front mount intercooler I have been having some troubles. :3d_frown:
The car hiccups or misfires now and then during acceleration and decelerating. Although it seems to happen more when im giving it 50-80% throttle and in the higher gears like 4th and 5th, sometimes 3rd.
When i give it 100% throttle it doesnt happen.

I have a feeling it is something to do with air/fuel ratios, although I hope im wrong.
Ideas? Any help would be much appreciated!

p.s. intercooler is 600x300x76 and piping is 3" into 2.5" piping

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
since the problem just happened after you installed the inter cooler the problem is most likely a boost leak.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
nosechunks;1488281 said:
Do a boost leak check and re check all the couplers.

When ever you have a new problem the first thing to check is the last thing you touched.

Very true. Great advice.

Next thing, do you not have a a/f gauge?? If not, I recommend you get one. You should always get gauges before you upgrade stuff. Its kind of like a safe gaurd on your engine.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
Poodles;1488334 said:
He'd need a wideband in that case, and an intercooler isn't going to affect AFR's

actually it did on my car. could also see it on Vf.

i'm going to go with boost leak tho, as said.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
Poodles;1488406 said:
Shouldn't make any difference at all unless you fixed or created boost leaks.

def didn't create, did a compression test and smoke test after install.

perhaps fixed, but didn't notice any before. i will add the boost did increase slightly, and we are only talking 3-4 points change.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Cooler air would be more dense, if the change was large enough it would lean the mixture slightly causing the need for more correction. After the tccs adjusts it would be same as before in short time.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
I was thinking that, due to the large intercooler and piping there is much more air in the system meaning the car runs lean sometimes... Ofcourse I dunno nothing so I may be completely wrong. :icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Won't matter as it's all flowing past the AFM. If you had a MAP based car and the intake temp sensor was in the turbo inlet then yes it would make a difference.