Priming oil system?

red87tll

needs a cheaper hobby
May 26, 2006
WV
I just finished bolting the 1jz in to car and wanted to prime the oiling system before I went too much further. Is there any way to do this? I cranked the car for several 6-8 second bursts about 12 times and didnt pull oil to the hole where the stock switch is located... I did have a little drizzle from the rear port where the twins feed. I didnt want to crank it too much without checking with you guys first. Let me know what you think. How long should I expect to crank it before i build pressure?

thanks
--James

93kyumaru

JZ Master
Oct 31, 2007
Japan
could have Pulled the EFI fuse Crank it all you want (with out going to hard on the starter) you will prime up just fine. or you can pull the ignitor plug for the same results. yeah about 30 sec is the average then a clean start should fine

93kyumaru

JZ Master
Oct 31, 2007
Japan
Yeah maybe so but I have never had any starter problems I just go with what is easier. Pulling the ignitor plug or the EFI fuse has the same effect as pulling the plugs it is just a different part of the equation ;)

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
Don't mean to steal your thread here but I have a related question. I recently put my new motor together and used the old oil pump which was working on the last motor. Now that I have this one together, I'm not building any oil pressure. Yes the oil pickup tube is installed before you ask. What could be the problem here? Bad oil pump?

93kyumaru

JZ Master
Oct 31, 2007
Japan
Bad oil pump could be the problem, however these oil pumps are pretty solid I have a few extras if you need one PM me, But these may seem like insulting questions but not my intention, is there enough oil in the pan, is there a leak in any of the high pressure components (turbo line) and are the turbo oil returs hooks up with decent gaskets? Is the oil filter good, screwed down tightly? ohter than thoes things couldn't be much more that I missed. Sorry to assist in the thread jack

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i would check your oil level, or maybe the connector for the oil pressure is disconnected or soemthing? try what 93kyumaru said.

EDIT:: 1700 post!! (i need a life :nono:)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
IJ.;902069 said:
I just crank mine in 30>40 second bursts with the plugs out till I see the gauge rise.

wish this was easier on my car but i might just do that since i'd hate to screw up a brand new starter Lol

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
Oh!!! Not enough oil. That was it guys! Thanks for your help!!!

WTF!!! Yes there is plenty of oil and no oil leaks. No offense taken guys.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
hahahahahaha

well then i guess i would start by draining the oil and checking to make sure the oil pump is installed correctly :dunno:

or the sender to the gauge is plugged in properly

good luck

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
if pump wasnt working you wouldnt have an engine to start.

what guage are you using? its easy enough to install an external one and check, just take off your current sensor

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
When I built my last 2jz I installed a new OEM oil pump and had the same problem. I pulled the pan to make sure the pickup was installed (in the car PITA). I then reolised that the pump did not have any oil in it and there for not generating enough vacume to pull the cool oil out of the pan. Once the pump has oil in it once it will be fine after that. Unless the pump is taken off and inspected or what not.

What I did to get oil pressue is take off my oil filter housing and pour oil back into the pump. I cranked the engine for 2sec and had full presure right away. I then started the engien and had zero oil problems since.

I would try doing what I did and I will bet it works.

Jeremy

red87tll

needs a cheaper hobby
May 26, 2006
WV
i have a autometer mechanical. I am about to head back over to the shop and see if i can get the car to do anything. I'll let you guys know what i find..

--James

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
I'm using a GReddy oil pressure gauge and am sure it is working properly. I even took off the oil filter while cranking an no oil was coming out. I then tried to reverse force feed oil in through the oil filter housing using an adapter and pressurized oil. I put in one extra quart that way and still no luck. I'm thinking about taking the oil pressure relief out to put some oil in there to see if it will get the oil flowing. If that doesn't work... I will be swapping out pumps. This sucks!!! I just want to drive my baby!!! WHY do these things happen?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!