Previa brake calipers

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I can find a million threads including previa brake calipers between here and SF, but most of the time they are just mentioned in passing, or someone thinks they might already be installed on their car from the previous owner... But I have yet to find a thread where someone says, I installed these, and they feel X better or worse compared to the stock brakes.

Has anyone out there actually bought these aftermarket and successful installed them on your mk3? Thoughts? Experiences?

I've got an 89T (with abs), which at this point is just a weekend cruise around car (although I might do autox). I replaced my calipers with aftermarket a good 4-5 years back and the front left is sticking again. I don't have the money for BBK (although I would love to), so for the time being I'm thinking about doing the previa dual piston calipers in the front and some aftermarket (ebc or similar) pads all around. Just looking for a small "stock" upgrade.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
both use the same pad as well

it's direct swap over

as in feel not sure since I have never done it if i had to replace my caliper's I would swap over fi want to keep along the stock looking side of things

dual pistons caliper just ware better over time

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If the slides are sticking then lube them up.

I use sil-glyde. Proly the best stuff I've used and I've used a big variety of different grease for brakes. It's also very similar if not the same to most manufacturers.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
hvyman;1859475 said:
If the slides are sticking then lube them up.

I use sil-glyde. Proly the best stuff I've used and I've used a big variety of different grease for brakes. It's also very similar if not the same to most manufacturers.

I'll probably wind up doing this in the end if I don't catch anyone who has done the swap. Thanks for the rec on the lube.

NashMan;1859474 said:
both use the same pad as well

it's direct swap over

as in feel not sure since I have never done it if i had to replace my caliper's I would swap over fi want to keep along the stock looking side of things

dual pistons caliper just ware better over time

Got dual piston stock on the front of my eclipse. I like the idea of applying pressure more evenly.

Last edited:

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I tried to do the swap this past week but could not get the bleeders to close for some reason, I think I've corrected this problem so I'll try again next week. But so far there are a couple things I've come across that weren't mentioned in this "Plug~n~Play" mod:
1) the calipers have to be swapped to the opposite sides to put the bleeders at the top of the calipers, otherwise they won't bleed properly. This makes them flop the opposite way when changing the pads since the slide pin is at the bottom now and the bolt is at the top.
2) the slide pin on the MKIII carrier is too big to fit in the Previa caliper, some people say to just bore the caliper hole out, but I decided to find some slide pins off of some Mazda ('99 626) that fit perfect and screw them into the carrier.
3) I read somewhere that the carrier had to be ground down a bit to fit the pads properly, my EBC pads fit with no modification.

I'll give an update on how they perform as soon as I swap them back on again, now that I have the bleeder issue resolved.
Here are some pics of the process I went through

yhatzee89;682323 said:
Here's the disassembled calipers after soaking in dish soap all day, it's pretty obvious to me that I'm gonna have to hone them to clean them up. But I've got all the grease off of them and they cleaned up pretty well

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Well my caliper rebuild failed, couldn't get the bleeders to seal for some reason, and even after I retrofitted them to seal, they wouldn't stop the car. Back to the drawing board...

P.S.; they did look better than the old ones on the car

(old)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(New)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Side by side
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
This was the solution I came up with for the bleeders, the bottom portion threads into the caliper and provides a sealing surface for the smaller bleeder that threads into it. We shall see if this turns out to be a successful idea
sm_photo_missing.jpg

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
supraguy@aol;2031048 said:
That just means that the Previa's bleeder's are a longer length. You can buy speed bleeders in multiple lengths, if you need them.
Even the original ones that came in the calipers when I bought them wouldnt close

Rollus;2031049 said:
What is the part number for previa calipers please?
No idea, sorry

Koenigturbo;2031155 said:
Is this swap a front /rear swap or just front?
Just the fronts