pretty positive its piston slap

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
cause when i sit idle it goes tck tck tck tck but after a rev of about 2500+ RPM it goes away completely.

it sounds like only one cyl is doing it and ima do a comp test sometime this weekend but damnit! any ideas on what i should do to shut this bitch up temporarily till i decide what to do? (NA/T or GTE swap) what kinda oil addative do you guys recommend?

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
well after more in depth investigation there is no sound coming from the engine itself..the "slapping" noise im hearing is coming from a lower reigon of the car....probably because of the straight pipe that is on there. thanks for the assist IJ!

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
nevermind! i feel like a retard! it actually iS coming from the engine though its not piston slap....it could possibly be crank walk....is this a possibility? anyone know if its possible for a 7m to get crankwalk?

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
but if that was rod knock wouldnt it get louder with acceleration? my sound completely dies out when i even touch the gas a smidge

if it helps...its kind of a hollow noise that happens only at idle....and as stated before once i put on the gas it goes away....

making a video right now

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
open up your oil cap and take a listen. or take a mechanic's stethoscope to the valve covers and take a listen. at idle and revving.

another possibility to your sound is lifter tick. it's more noticeable at idle, but gets drowned out by the exhaust at higher rpms, but it's still there (faster).

can you get a video of the sound? that might help us to get you a more positive diagnosis

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Moy;1534818 said:
another possibility to your sound is lifter tick. it's more noticeable at idle, but gets drowned out by the exhaust at higher rpms, but it's still there (faster).

can you show me where the lifters go, i cant find where to put mine?

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
thanks for the input, I just listened to the noise with a long screwdriver and you can hear in internally. the engine runs good with a very faint knock at idle, once you put it into gear the noise gets twice as loud. sounds like someone tapping a hammer on a hollow barrel or something. its a very low almost "thud" like sound.
it almost sounds like the notorious 2g DSM crankwalk, but not as consistant. when you rev it, the noise seems to go away, but if you hold the RPMS at about 3500 very light load it neutral it almost sounds like a diesel.
oil pressure is a tad low, but again, the car drives down the road quietly and still has plenty of power.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
mkiiichip;1534836 said:
can you show me where the lifters go, i cant find where to put mine?

okay, sorry. wrong terminology. but same idea. lifters go with cam in block engines with pushrod, not OHC. I know. calm down.

it's technically cam lobe to shim clearances with the cam lobe contacting the shim when opening the valve. I'm not an idiot

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Early RK will quiet down with some RPM as the pump moves enough Oil to re-establish the Oil wedge between the crank and rod bearing, dropping oil pressure at idle is a handy way to follow the bearing wear as RK gets worse.

Scenario goes, bit of wear pressure drops you lose the wedge and the rod bearing touches the crank (something that should NEVER happen after the first dozen Revolutions in a healthy engine)

When the bearing touches the crank it transfers some bearing material to the crank pin (microscopic at this point) each time it touches it transfers a little more then once revving hard enough for the wedge to return (bearings float on a wedge of oil in use) this material is scoured away leaving a bigger bearing clearance and the drop in idle oil pressure I mentioned earlier.

This is a self fulfilling prophecy as in time you wear enough of the bearing away that it's hitting the crank all the time and you have full blown RK.

This can occur slowly or all in a rush if you run low on oil and stand on the brakes or corner hard enough to uncover the pickup. (this is my reasoning on ALWAYS running +1qt of oil in a 7M and every other engine after I’ve checked that it doesn’t let the crank dip into the oil while running)

As for "lifters" near enough but incorrect "followers" would be closer, I use "buckets" as it's more descriptive for my senile old brain ;)

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
thanks IJ it makes sense now...ugh this really sucks. i was hoping i could enjoy the supra this summer but yeah..i guess i gotta upgrade to a GTE and rebuild it. i guess there's not much i can do at this point to fix it nor do i have the budget so im gunna see what i can do....thanks guys for the input i guess it was Rod Knock!

oh, as a side note anyone know where i can pick up a cheap engine?

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
Poodles;1571171 said:
my money is on rod knock...

ditto, my last motor started out like this, very faint. the crank pulley was loose and off balance (guessing it warped the crank but never checked before i scrapped the crank and rods). after i addressed that situation it noticeably got worse and worse over 6 months and one day it sounded like putting a playing card in bicycle tire spokes, bearing had finally given out. i still think it was the mistake of putting royal purple in a motor with 150k miles on it that was sitting for 2-3 years. bought a jdm motor for about 600 about 2.5 years ago, replaced all seals/gaskets and the motor runs with absolutely no trouble! good luck.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
lol old thread is old! it turned out to be a flexplate...im doing some work on this very soon...ill probably have a thread up about it soon to get tips on what to expect! :p

its some nasty flexplate slapping going on...toyotanos and the other minnesota guys can attest to that