pretty good for stock

jon_570

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
dyno'd my car the other week... car is stock... was dyno'd on a dyno jet

i dont know the correction factor but there are 6 different ones i could choose and neither of them changed the outcome more than one point..

stock 87 5-speed turbo 7mgte..
p930841_1.jpg

p930841_2.jpg

p930841_3.jpg

p930841_4.jpg

jon_570

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
dude..seriously... the car is stock.. stock boost stock exhaust..only thing is a drop in k and n air filter..i DID have the wastegate shimmed.. i have the dynos from them but i was having mad boost creep so i took all the shims out and now its running a straignt 6 psi..this dyno was at 6 psi.

jon_570

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
p930869_1.jpg

engine shot..today in the shop i cut the exhaust off and im going to do a stock downpipe and pretty much a 3 inch cat back.. well see what it gets me.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
My understanding is that the stock turbo elbow is a real restriction. If you're going for more power, get a Dp or at least a new elbow. If you're doing this to research incremental power gains for particular mods, then rock on.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
That must be a pretty healthy motor. Id like to see gains from a 3" exhaust, and then with a DP with better elbow added to that.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
i don't get it...how can that be? outputting to the wheels just about the same numbers as the engine specs with no mods...was this rebuilt with a slightly higher CR?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Maybe just a K&N drop in filter flows that much more than stock? Maybe one or both cats have gutted themselves :dunno:

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
You may make less power with the big exhaust,
unless you richen the fuel map up.

Reason:
Less backpressure makes for less residual exhaust in the combustion chamber.
This means more fresh air for the set amount of fuel that the ECU is giving the engine.
And this means a LEANER mixture.
This is why there are so many rumors about 'needing back pressure'.
So be prepared to add more fuel (an APEX S-AFC works good).

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
gofastgeorge;931115 said:

Reason:
This means more fresh air for the set amount of fuel that the ECU is giving the engine.

Um, no? This is a turbo motor dude, you do NOT want and you definitely do NOT need back pressure.

I also call BS on this dyno, it's been rebuilt with a higher compression ratio, if all else is stock.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
RedEj8;931101 said:
Maybe just a K&N drop in filter flows that much more than stock? Maybe one or both cats have gutted themselves :dunno:

I find it unlikely, i mean thats a 20-30+WHP and 40-50+RWTQ GAIN over just about every other dyno'd stock 7m i've ever seen posted on this site....

gofastgeorge;931115 said:

Reason:

Not on our cars/turbo cars in general