Preferred diff ratio?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
You need to grind it down in order to get the pinion shims correct, yes. Otherwise you wont be able to install the lsd case because itll bump into the pinion.

Unsure what he used but it wasnt a milling machine, it was a face grinder of some sort.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
How did you set the depth after it was ground down? I would figure it would be easier to install it, measure it, set the depth unmodified then remove the material.

If you remove material first and don't know exactly to the .001" how much was removed, or if it was removed unevenly, then i would assume the depth measurement would be thrown off?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I've run all 3 stock US options in the Mk3. Of the stock ratios I like 3.73 the best by far. In everyday use it's more practical for me. Lower RPMs, more time at full boost before shifting, etc...

For autox you probably want something shorter, like a 3.9-4.3, but otherwise I'd stick with 3.73 or lower.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Nosechunks;2063839 said:
How did you set the depth after it was ground down? I would figure it would be easier to install it, measure it, set the depth unmodified then remove the material.

If you remove material first and don't know exactly to the .001" how much was removed, or if it was removed unevenly, then i would assume the depth measurement would be thrown off?

Initially, I put on all the shims, measured depth after it was installed and compared it to what it needed to be...did the math and said 'I need x more shims'. After it got ground down, I put x amount of shims on and checked the pattern and it was pretty close. From there I adjusted shims according to what the pattern looked like.

Once its ground down you can't do checking distance so you'll have to do the math beforehand, which will guaranteed get you close anyways.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Got the 3.73 diff in yesterday. I thought it was gonna be a 2 hour job, but turned into 6...typical.

Anyways, this ratio is so much better to drive on the street. 2nd feels like the fastest gear now, rather than 1st, and I don't have to shift every half second.