pre89 bumper/89+ bumper

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
Hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone has put the 89+ grill in the pre89 bumper? It looks like it will follow the pre89 bumper alot better then the flat black insert.

I'm going to guess not many people have done this because the insert on an 89+ bumper must be cut out. and if you already have the 89+ bumper why cut out a grill to put it in a pre89 bumper. But my buddy just got himself an 89+ bumper and he cut it out as well as the license plate space for more space for his intercooler.

If anyone has pics or has heard of anyone doing this please share.

Also i tried searching but pre89 and 89+ dont do much and "bumper" is everywhere so it was really pointless.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
hmm this is the first i have heard of the idea. i wonder how it would look...

calling all photoshop junkies! i think its time for a quick photo chop!

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
Well today i sized it up and the grill from the 89+ is a little over 2 inches wider, and i had to do trial and error to get it to fit, it slides in just fine now, mounting it might be a little tough but i'll figure something out. In the next few days i'll just put it in and tape it in place just to see how it looks (but the grill is white, car is blue) I think it'll be pretty cool having a pre89+ bumper :D:D

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
Swaq I think you are thinking about the post I put up about buying a new 92 bumper. MKiv Rob the problem you might run into is the spacing on the grill. The size on the 89+ grill is larger, and the spacing on the grill is different, so I'm not sure how it would line up.

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
927mgtepat said:
Swaq I think you are thinking about the post I put up about buying a new 92 bumper. MKiv Rob the problem you might run into is the spacing on the grill. The size on the 89+ grill is larger, and the spacing on the grill is different, so I'm not sure how it would line up.
dead on correct with that one, i had to cut away an inch to each side to make it fit, it is also much taller then the pre89 black one but its made to be at an angle and it follows the supports inbetween the grill and foglights perfectly. I'll get pics tomorrow if i can.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
927mgtepat said:

Yes, that's the one. If I read it correctly you're putting a 92 bumper on a 1987?

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
I'll be getting pics of this pre89+ bumper tonight probably, going out to get a digital camera soon (i dont know how i lasted this long on regular ones)

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
Ok VERY late on photos, i know, but no need ofr photoshop i taped it in place the other day and took some pics. Keep in mind it does fit better then this because these are simply taped in place, also i did the sanding to it after this, so its alot nicer looking now. And as for the rust licenseplate holder screws, piss off :) )

Enjoy, please fell free to post up any feedback, im sure it'll look better once its painted.

Actually the grill follows those "support" things beside the foglights very nicely, i was suprised

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Hey, I just might consider that. I've taken out my grill on my 88 because...Well I just did, lol. 89+ Grill looks good on that!:)

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
lol, anyone notice how i'm getting constructive criticism here, which is good, and at SF only negative, weird how its just 2 complete opposites

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
dcrusupra87 said:
Well thats because SM is soooo much better than SF. So how u gonna permanently mount it? Fiberglass?

Mounting, thats going to be the tough part, Because the grill is made of basically V shapes (no backs to the pillars) I'm usign this special epoxy like stuff thats made to bond to plastic types and urethane bumpers to attach some screws to the bottom/back, then i'll have some attached to the bumper itself, then just line them up, drill a few holes and attach some nuts to the screws i put in ,this'll hold it in good enough(and straighter then tape would) to mould it in with Plastic bumper repair stuff. Also this way if later on the parts moulded in crack, instead of the grill falling to the road and being lost it'll hang by those screws.

That is currently just the plan, any info/ideas/tips would be VERY much appreciated! I just basically dont want to just have it stuck on with bondo, definatly want it to be secure and not chip later on.

TSURU

Mar 15, 2006
Fremont, Ca.
my cousin and i were just thinking about this yesterday, haha we were just chillen and were looking at the two parked next to each and was like i wonder what it would look like blah blah blah... haha

it looks sweet, maybe i can convice her to cut the grill out and give it to me =P since we are going to trade bumpers, i love the pre89 front end =)