Pre89 and 89+ Foglamp Differences (USDM/JDM/EDM) w/ Pics

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I thought that some people who may not know the difference will find this informative and interesting (Like my Euro Folding Mirror thread). This is mainly for EDM, USDM, and JDM foglamps. Most know that the Austrailian delivered Supras had driving lamps in place of the foglamps. Well after having all three (Pre89) foglamps sitting on my desk i noticed some differences. Mainly with the glare sheilds and ive notice this with 89+ lamps as well.

So those who have Pre89 USDM (which is most of the Pre89 owners on this website have) Foglamps have probably noticed that the glare sheild on the inside incases the entire bulb. The glare sheild is also seen through the lense of the foglamp as shown below.

p1580136_1.jpg

Now Both of my JDM and EDM Foglamps have yellow capsule but ive noticed this on this without them as well. Starting with the European foglamps, on Pre89's they have a glare sheild similar to whats seen on the 89+ EDM and USDM lamps. In the picture below on the Left is a USDM glare sheild insert, on the right is a JDM insert (notice there is no glare sheild but we'll get to that later)

p1580136_2.jpg

On the Pre89 Euro foglamps the sheild is similar to whats seen on the left only its rivited in place. Pics below

p1580136_3.jpg

Now the 89+ Euro foglamps sheild looks like this.

p1580136_4.jpg

Now as i said earlier JDM lamps have NO glare sheild in them at all. Whether they have yellow capsules or not. There is no glare sheild. My Pre89 JDM lamps pics are below.

p1580136_5.jpg

p1580136_6.jpg

89+ JDM Lamps

p1580136_7.jpg

Now as far as Pre89 lamps goes the glare sheild being there compared from USDM and JDM makes a difference, in terms of brightness, and beam pattern.

USDM (With yellow capsules fitted inside)
p1580136_8.jpg

With headlamps off
p1580136_9.jpg

JDM, the light from the foglamps is more pronounced, and very noticible.
p1580136_10.jpg

Notice the beam pattern, (i had forgotten to turn the headlamps off but the difference in beam pattern is noticible)

p1580136_11.jpg

As for the euro lamps i have not gotten a chance to put them on yeah but i will be posting the difference in beam pattern and brightness as well.

So far the JDM lamps are the brightest and throw light the farthest. Now im not sure why these differences exist my guess would be differenting lighting laws. However seeing as Japan and Europe both get thick fog its interesting that the Euro lamps have a glare sheild while the JDM lamps do not.

I have a picture of TT-R lamps (no capsule) and its clear there is no glare sheild on the inside.

Thought some people may find this informing as there isnt a thread ive found like this.

Will be update once i treat the rust on the euro lamps and put them on. Also if there are 89+ owners who can take pics of their beam pattern mainly i need USDM and JDM (those with a glare sheild and those with them removed to see if theres a difference for them it would be much appreciated.)

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
It should also be noted that Lexus capsules have TWO glare shields, enveloping the entire capsule. Also I'm not sure what year it's off of, but I have a set of MKIII fogs that came with no yellow capsules, and no blinders, and a different connector than usual. Ill try to get a pic tomorrow, but they're weird...

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1580750 said:
The JDMs not only have no glare shield but the glass is smoother inside the foglights they dither/refract the light less so they apear clearer and brighter.

So far from what ive seen between USDM, JDM, and EDM is they are all identical, only the glare sheilds, were the differences i noticed. It is possible that they look smother due to how clean the glass is.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I wish I had all my pictures to back it up but I could swear the glass was different on the pre 89 style lights I think post 89 were the same but I think pre 89 glass was alot more like the post 89 in the JDM cars also pre 89 fogs were not yellow JDM.

I kind of remember this because I almost bought a set off of a 7MGTE clip from japan they were too much so I just made my own.

p1580801_1.jpg

p1580801_2.jpg

p1580801_3.jpg

p1580801_4.jpg

p1580801_5.jpg

p1580801_6.jpg

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Uhm you're looking at authentic yellow JDM and Euro Pre89 fogs. GA70's and MA70's had them factory. Unless you're talking about USDM then yeah but I already mentioned I stuck a yellow capsule inside. And my pics clearly show there's no difference in the lenses on the foglamps.

Last edited:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
ltzSupra;1580941 said:
Where can I get the yellow shields?

either ask a European member for a set of inserts, or an austrailian member with a JDM supra with yellow fogs willing to trade your USDM inserts for their JDM inserts. Or ask RazoE for a set of Lexus capsules.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Updating the first post soon with the EDM lamps.

So for a complete review, the EDM lamps provide a similar beam pattern to the JDM lamps, more defined, and less glare. JDM lamps are without a doubt the brightest of the three. The USDM Pre89 lamps dont hold a candle to the JDM and EDM lamps.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
usdm pre89 lamps are pretty much fail it seems.. then again I don't really require fog lamps here except for aesthetic reasons (hence I painted mine yellow).