Pre 91 6.5 speaker in door pictures

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Just to give some people some ideas of what's possible.
I'm not worried about cutting up these door pannels, i've got another set.

25focqr.jpg

2nak3zm.jpg

28wcyg2.jpg

Please excuse the door handle:p

Test fit

10hjc7n.jpg

To be honest, they don't sound that amazing. Probabally because they have some small holes in them and are a bit weak. I need to do a few more layers of glass to get the most out of them.

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Oh.. i forgot to update this because of the lack of interest. But anyway i finally sealed them up completely and they are sounding a LOT better now. I've got what is supposed to be 300 or so RMS to each one out of my cadence txa 3004 amp and i am definetly happy.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
That's a lot of work for 6.5" speakers.

I just installed a set of 6.5" in my 87 and it wasn't nearly that complex. They're just some $40 Pioneer but they're much better than the 4" Optimus the PO had in there. Total cost for the project was $50 including the speakers. I plan on upgrading the speakers later, just wanted something cheap for the test fit.

Just make a cutout out of cardboard and use 5/8" MDF to hook to 3 of the 4 factory mounting screws. I was planning on pics and a how-to when I get some free time as I need to mount my amp anyways.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
mkiii222;1328495 said:
That's a lot of work for 6.5" speakers.

I just installed a set of 6.5" in my 87 and it wasn't nearly that complex. They're just some $40 Pioneer but they're much better than the 4" Optimus the PO had in there. Total cost for the project was $50 including the speakers. I plan on upgrading the speakers later, just wanted something cheap for the test fit.

Just make a cutout out of cardboard and use 5/8" MDF to hook to 3 of the 4 factory mounting screws. I was planning on pics and a how-to when I get some free time as I need to mount my amp anyways.

It is a lot of work, but since i want some decent sound i need sealed enclosures.
I probabally could get my 91 doors on there if i cutout some of the metal and it would look stock but i'm getting lazy with the car lately.
I'll get some pics when and if i get it finished.
Thanks for the interest!:icon_bigg

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I was just going by the thread title. Not knocking your work or anything.

I'll throw my pics up when I get a chance (car pooled today). Then we'll at least have 2 different mounting options. Maybe someone who's done it different from either of us can post a 3rd. Let all the n00bs know what's possible with a little elbow grease.

Personally I'm happy with semi-sealed for the door speakers. The way they're mounted the 'box' is ~3/4 sealed. The sound quality isn't the best but that's running bottom of the line Pioneer off an older Kenwood head unit. Once I wire up my Majestic Ti Series(old but it's been a trooper) amp and get some components they'll sound much better.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Funny you posted that just now. I got a couple quick pics while I was at lunch. I'll pull the panel off this weekend and snap a couple pics of the mounts.

I like your way for sound quality and my way for less work and stock appearance on 4" style doors. I'll start my own thread later for a full 'how-to' and just edit this post with full pics when I get them.

Attachments

• DSC01713.JPG
    DSC01713.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01714.JPG
    DSC01714.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Spx2.JPG
    Spx2.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Spx1.JPG
    Spx1.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 29
  • EmptyHole.JPG
    EmptyHole.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I just found a parted out 91/92 on SM and got the door panels, speaker cover and grille off a member here and put it on my 89...

much easier, looks cleaner and sounds better in my opinion..

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
OfnaRcR4;1330366 said:
I'd say do it! Someone on here already made a thread about making MDF adapters for 6.5's but another walkthrough never hurts.

I never saw it, but I never searched for it either.

: ed :

Just searched and found the 5.25" install, but not the 6.5". Different enough to warrant a new how-to in my book.

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
RazoE;1330389 said:
I just found a parted out 91/92 on SM and got the door panels, speaker cover and grille off a member here and put it on my 89...

much easier, looks cleaner and sounds better in my opinion..

I have a set of 91 pannels and 6.5 pods but my speakers wouldn't fit because they were too deep. But... what exactly are you saying they sound better than?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Just tried my 91 pannels and it's a definite no-go :icon_cry: I wasn't really expecting them to fit but i sure hoped :p Looks like i'll have to stay with crappy looking doors if i want to use these pods, which means that i'm going to have to make yet ANOTHER set when i get motivation to. :icon_evil

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
That write up was done on a 91 that already had 6.5", and he still had to trim the door panel. And it's not really on SM, it's on carforum.net. I was going to do a quick write up for the masses that just want to run 'standard' 6.5" with minimal effort, not extra deep or component.

That sucks about the fitment. GL on your next set. If nothing else it's more practice for the final set.

And I think RaZoe was saying they sound better than the 4" stock speakers.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yup, they sound way better and that's despite using some cheapie 6.5's in the mean time (I had Infinity's ready but I found out when installing them they didn't work!), compared to the 4" Kenwoods I had in there..

I notice most speakers don't fit directly into the 6.5 pods, I had to screw them in forcibly into the plastic of the pods, and shave off a little bit of the OEM 89 connector to plug the speakers in, but it all worked out...

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Just posted some pics with the panel off above (post #9).

BTW, I checked mounting depth and the shallow part is 2 3/4" using 5/8" MDF with 3/4" further it can be pushed out without 'rubbing' giving 3 1/2" if using a ring.