Pre 89 vs 89+ Steering rack differences (especially rack & tie rod ends)

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Hi guys and girls,

Firstly, I have done a search, but my apologies if I have over-looked anything (past midnight here). Feel free to point me in the right direction if this is the case.

I am planning a complete front end rebuild including new inner and outer tie-rod ends. (or rack ends if you prefer)

However, I am finding them listed seperately for 86-88 and 89-92.

For example these vs these

Does anyone know the difference between the early and late model steering racks, so I can look on my car?

I plan to order these offf ebay or similar, and don't want to screw it up :)

My car is an Australian MA71 with a build date of September 1988 - it has most of the 89+ changes (i.e. front bumper, rear taillights, .. all the cosmetic stuff) but it missed out on round engine mounts and a few other 89+ changes.

Last edited:

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Is anyone able to help here?

I've done a bit more searching across several forums, but have only been able to find vague info. I am reading about some differences in rack / tie rod-end length, but nothing concrete.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

I really need to order this part for my front-end rebuild. The Supra (daily driven) is off the road until then.

Thanks in advance.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Got under the car again and measured and inspected the inner and outer ends on my own car. I can't see a single difference between the two sides, so pulled the trigger on the 89+ ebay purchase.

If they are threaded differently, I am screwed :p

Will keep this updated.

Fingers crossed :)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Well I hope they aren't cause I'm about to buy a 91 complete rack with ends. I hope they mount up to the 87 ><

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
Differences include pre-89 having a steering damper, thus, one of the inner tie rods have a bracket to hold it. After 89 I believe something on the rack changes , something for the variable steering assist.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Although my original question will be answered by my 'suck it and see' approach, it would be good to have a solid list of documented differences.

Catalogues I have looked at list the rack ends seperately for 86-88 and 89+...

I will make the time to look into this properly & report back :)

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
i just ordered 89+ rack ends, should be in, in about a week or so. i will post up my findings when they come in.
btw i have a 10/88 build date 89 supra, still has the pre 89 motor mounts.