Pre 89 harness /ecu In 89 car

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
So I just got done swapping my pre 89 harness/ecu into my 89 supra. Everythin works great. But there are a couple things I need to ask.

1. There is a plug by the ecu that goes to the body harness and the engine harness that doest plug together. I was wonderin if you knew anything about that or what it is. Ill try to get pics up when I have time.

2. My main question is about the headlights. They won't turn off. I've read stuff about it on here but all the links that people post to help out are all old and don't work. So what do I have to do to fix the headlights?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
had these issues with my car, IIRC all i had to do to fix the lights was swap a couple wires on the BIG plug on the ECU harness (not the ECU plug).
The other plug is for ABS.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Also, the 3 wires on the bottom part of the plug that now dont plug into anything are for the supermonitor. so unless you have one i wouldnt worry about it.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ok thx! I will deff do that 2morrow!

And now that makes sense about the ABS plug that doesn't plug in cause my ABS light is on.

Any way to fix that?

Thx!!

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

And what's a supermonitor? I thight that was something that came stock?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
i'll take a look at the plugs on my car tomorrow and see if i can make some sense of it. I never fixed mine, just pulled the ABS light from the cluster.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I've got an '87 yellow plug harness in my '89 grey plug car.

The one harness that wont' plug together is the ABS. Colour match the wires and connect them, and the ABS works fine. I made an adapter harness by taking the chassis side plug from the '87 to plug into the ECU harness and the ECU side plug from a grey plug ECU harness, but in retrospect, I could have done it with just the donor car's harness.

For the headlights, that one annoyed me. I re-ran the trigger wire to the headlight relay from the #1 integration relay, and it works fine now. The downside is that I don't get an idle up when the headlights are on, but that hasn't been a problem to date. (Actually, the stereo is a bigger load on the electrical system. Maybe at some point I'll connect the remote power on from the deck into that line to the ECU. Thanks for the tip on relocating the ECU plug wire, but I'm not going to reconnect those now.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
On the abs plug all it is red black and yellow wire that go from the body plug to the rear speed sensor. 3 wires and the light will go off.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
What do you guys do to switch the head light wires over?

Is there a special way to pull out the wires? Or should I cut and solder it? I'm a little weary of cutting the harness wires...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
you gan get the wires out of the plugs using a jewlers screwdriver, sewing needle, exacto knife, etc. theres a plastic tab holding the wire pin in the plug, lift these tabs and pull the wire and it will come out easily.