Pre 89 Front End with 89+ Turns?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I've been thinking about putting 89+ turn signals on my 88 but I'm a little unsure how they will look. Anybody else you there do it? Any pics floating around?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
IMO will look like crap ESP since the grill won't match up.

Besides that you would have to change the nose panel as they are different.

But the pre 89 light look good on a 89+ bumper.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
hvyman;1830784 said:
IMO will look like crap ESP since the grill won't match up.

Besides that you would have to change the nose panel as they are different.

But the pre 89 light look good on a 89+ bumper.

The grill I"m not worried about... I plan on doing some custom grill work later this summer anyway.
How do the nose panels differ? I've never really had the chance to compare them side by side.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Just do it!

The pre89 header panel support does not have mounts for the 89+ turn signals. So you will need to change to an 89+

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
rodel;1830788 said:
Just do it!

The pre89 header panel support does not have mounts for the 89+ turn signals. So you will need to change to an 89+

You know, you can be very convincing sometimes...
Ok, now I just need to find a header panel in metallic gray to match my car... or paint one...

If anybody needs me, I'll be in the classifieds...

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Neodeuccio;1830789 said:
You know, you can be very convincing sometimes...
Ok, now I just need to find a header panel in metallic gray to match my car... or paint one...

If anybody needs me, I'll be in the classifieds...

When it comes down to wanting to do something to your own car, there is no need for others' opinions.

You dont need to change the header panel. Just the metal support under it.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
rodel;1830792 said:
When it comes down to wanting to do something to your own car, there is no need for others' opinions.

It's not so much the opinion I was interested in but how the final product would look. When it comes to mechanical stuff, I just dive right in, but the body stuff I'm a bit more cautious with.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Personally, I like the way the pre-89 stuff looks as is. Ever seen one coming at you with just the running lights on? They're so wide, it looks rather menacing. The 89+ turn signals, they look good on an 89+ bumper. On a pre-89, I think you'd have a HUGE gap between the lights. Hard to say for certain though, it might actually look better than my imagination is making it out to be. Worst case scenario, stick them in for a mock-up fitting, see if *you* like them. :)

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
te72;1831008 said:
Personally, I like the way the pre-89 stuff looks as is. Ever seen one coming at you with just the running lights on? They're so wide, it looks rather menacing. The 89+ turn signals, they look good on an 89+ bumper. On a pre-89, I think you'd have a HUGE gap between the lights. Hard to say for certain though, it might actually look better than my imagination is making it out to be. Worst case scenario, stick them in for a mock-up fitting, see if *you* like them. :)

In theory (at least), couldn't one make a billet grille to compensate the gap and basically 'join' the two marker lights?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
KicknAsphlt;1831010 said:
In theory (at least), couldn't one make a billet grille to compensate the gap and basically 'join' the two marker lights?

Bingo. I haven't decided on whether or not I'll go billet, but that's the idea I'm going for. Swap the turns, remove the stock grille, add a custom grille of some sort, and probably add 89+ blinker covers (I think they look sweet). So basically, it's will be similar to this:
temp.jpg

But with cleaner lines and a custom grille.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Could also go mesh, like the Street Scenes inserts some vehicles run. IIRC, you can buy the mesh in bulk...maybe not from them, but I can find out where. This is the stuff (in my cross-hairs grille)...and if you have a dark vehicle like black, you could maybe do a black chrome finish.

justin2.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
xzeror;1831124 said:
That pre 89 bumper with blinker covers doesnt look bad. Maybe if it filled the gap it would look even better.
You mean like how the 89+ bumper does? ;)

Just kidding man, I see where you're going with the idea. Give it a go in photoshop, see if you like the look, unless you have the parts to make it happen, then mock it up, see how it looks, maybe picture it in your head. Could mock up the grille with some cardboard and color it how you like?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I'm working on collecting the parts now, but who knows when I'll have time to do the swap. I haven't really figured out how I'd want the grille to look yet, so I'll put some photoshop time in when I can and will post my favorite options for everyone to critique. Not that I'll listen to you, but I'll at least hear your opinions... :biglaugh:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
There's a red pre-89 on these boards that did it, along with a 3 hole bomex lip, looks quite mean..

I'm for the opposite though; I have pre-89 euro signals on my 92..:D

attachment.php

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
I want to swap over to a post 89 bumper, but im too lazy and i honestly dont think the pre 89 bumper looks too bad. Maybe cuz it grew on me and i cant find any good deals on bumpers local :p

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I've always thought the pre-89 front ends looked better than the 89+, but to each his own. I'd love to see the red one with the bomex lip... Anybody know who it is?

PS- RazoE, your car looks awesome!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Neodeuccio;1831624 said:
I've always thought the pre-89 front ends looked better than the 89+, but to each his own. I'd love to see the red one with the bomex lip... Anybody know who it is?

PS- RazoE, your car looks awesome!

Thank you!

I searched and found the pic. However I was mistaken; it was a 2 hole Bomex lip. But here she is.

scaled.php