Power steering

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
i have the right amout of fluid in my system but it winds and i feel like i have to be arnold to turn the wheel.. im sure tis eaither the pump or rack and pinion. Is there any way to diagnose it without replacing one or the other first?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
any sounds? color/smell of fluid?

if you havent flushed the fluid out yet prolly a good idea to do that.. pump it out of the resovoir with a hand pump and refill... turn wheel and repeat

make sure the belt is still there... possible that you might need a new pump especially if the fluid is not flowing out dark or red but do it until it has new fluid throughout the system took me prolly 3 or 4 bottles of ATF

nvgc8

Narf! Zort! Troz! Fjord!
Sep 14, 2007
Meridian, ID
Make sure you clean the screen at the bottom of the reservoir. Make sure it is not plugged up with crap.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
nvgc8;886819 said:
Make sure you clean the screen at the bottom of the reservoir. Make sure it is not plugged up with crap.

+1

I went through two pumps thinking they were the problem when it was the screen being clogged and starving the pump of fluid ::dunce::

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
tlo86;886751 said:
any sounds? color/smell of fluid?

if you havent flushed the fluid out yet prolly a good idea to do that.. pump it out of the resovoir with a hand pump and refill... turn wheel and repeat

make sure the belt is still there... possible that you might need a new pump especially if the fluid is not flowing out dark or red but do it until it has new fluid throughout the system took me prolly 3 or 4 bottles of ATF
yeah the pump sounds kind of loud