power steering trouble

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
My power steering is not working properly. It started with me doing a couple donuts yesterday after cruising with some friends. When I pulled up after the donuts there was a ticking noise coming from my pullies, that shortly went away. Later that night I noticed that It was a bit harder to turn the wheel, and at idle the wheel is almost impossible to turn and makes a whine. Other then this the car runs great. I noticed some wear on the belt for the power steering. What do you think is wrong with my car?..Power steering pump??

Thanks,
Steve

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Did you check the fluid level and belt tension on the pulley?

Sounds like the pump is on its way out...assuming there are no big leaks in the lines.

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
Fluid is full and tension is good...anyone know how hard it is to swap the pump??

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
drain a bit of fluid..

2 or 3 bolts..

top it up with fluid.

It shouldn't take more than an hour, unless you have stumps instead of hands. Then it might take longer. You can usually get a new pump $$$$. Or you can get a used one for $. I have one for sale if you want it.

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
thanks for the info...I think im goin to go with a new pump but I will let you know if I change my mind.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yes. Check for any signs of black-ish paste/powder/coating on the power steering pump drive wheel.

My alternator was slipping and I found out the hard way...with a brand new alternator.

I quickly learned that belt tension gauges exist for a reason. Hand tension works but security wise...