Power Steering Question

moarboost

Nov 25, 2012
Los Angeles
Hello, Ive searched around but couldn't find a thread on it. My power steering pump started whining the other day and the wheel became alot stiffer. After replacing the power steering pump and bleeding the whole system a few times i keep seeing bubbles in the system. Would this be from the rack and pinion system or could anything else be at fault?

Thanks alot everyone all input is appreciated :1zhelp:

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Could be sucking in air in a hose somewhere. Turn the wheel lock to lock 20 times and see if it improves.

moarboost

Nov 25, 2012
Los Angeles
I have and the whining only seems to get worse going lock to lock and more bubbles keep coming up. I also found oil in the rack and pinion boot. Would it be wise to get a rebuilt rack and pinion system?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Rack might be letting air in. What fluid are you using? Did you clean the filter screen in the bottom of the res?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If the rack is leaking the seals on the ends are bad. It should be rebuilt or replaced at that point.

When going lock to lock you want to hold it at lock for about 3 sec on each side. Over and over. Usually the air will come out pretty quick within like 5 turns back and forth for the most part.

If the suction hose, the big one that feeds the pump, Is bad like cracking and leaking it should be replaced as if air can get in there it will make the pump whine. Doesnt even have to be leaking for that to happen.

moarboost

Nov 25, 2012
Los Angeles
Im using dexron 3 and yes ive cleaned the filter at the bottom. It looks like it is leaking from the seals at the end because the boot was full of oil and i cant figure out where else the oil would come from. I think im going to get the rack and pinion system replaced because the air bubbles keep coming up