Power Steering Pressure Line

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Hi all, my pressure line on my car just blew a second hole, this time its spewing fluid onto the exhaust manifold. I plan to order the stainless steel braided line from driftmotion.com, My question is how much of a pita is it to change the pressure line? Also, besides the installation and removal are there any things I should do besides cleaning to prep the rack and pump for the new crush washers?

Thanks.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
The stocker is a PITA because of the hard line sections and lack of space. I would think the SS line will be far easier to install.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i agree. using a cut off wheel will help with the removal of the old ps line. install of the SS line will be a piece of cake compared to installing a new hardline from toyota (with the engine in the car).

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Yea, new hard lines = removing or lifting the engine...I mean you could get them in but, yea. Taking them out...Wire cutters and some brute force.

With the engine out of my car it was a PITA to try and get them out without damaging them, I gave up 1/2 way and cut them out.

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
I used an Oxyacetylene torch to remove parts of the line, but I was switching out my entire PS pump so it made things a whole lot easier. New line went in in about 5 min with someone to hold the line in position.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Wire cutters WON'T cut them. Bolt cutters or a tubing cutter (tighten on it, and rotate, tighten, rotate, ect) will cut them.

It's a major PITA as the bolts for the brackets that hold the lines are on the top (obviously assembled without the engine in).

A side note: every engine fire I've seen in a junkyard has been from either wiring, or from a PS leak that hit the hot turbo...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Poodles;1109883 said:
Wire cutters WON'T cut them. Bolt cutters or a tubing cutter (tighten on it, and rotate, tighten, rotate, ect) will cut them.

It's a major PITA as the bolts for the brackets that hold the lines are on the top (obviously assembled without the engine in).

A side note: every engine fire I've seen in a junkyard has been from either wiring, or from a PS leak that hit the hot turbo...

Your kidding right?
I was able to snip them, it was hard, but do able, and I used wire cutters not the wire cutting part on a pair of pliers.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ummm SS hose for the power steering?

Considering that the supra nominal pressure = 1250 psi which happens to coincide with Aeroquips MAX pressure handling capabilities (not burst as that is up in the 3k range). I would be careful! The correct line to use is the power steering specific hose that aeroquip sells, nominal pressure rating on that one is 2500 psi.

instead of taking my word for it.. take aeroquips

http://www.aeroquip.com/media/performance/A-SPPE-MC001-E-p5-8.pdf

AQP -06 AN hose 1000/750.

and per the TSRM

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=SR&P=43

Minimum pressure: 1063 psi. 63 psi higher than what that aeroquip hose can take.

Now if it is the teflon hose

http://www.aeroquip.com/media/performance/A-SPPE-MC001-E-p17-19.pdf

than you are covered.

and also aeroquip sells a power steering SPECIFIC hose

http://www.aeroquip.com/media/performance/A-SPPE-MC001-E-p20.pdf

Good luck!

Last edited:

gloops

Aug 10, 2007
richmond
2 years ago my line went- toyota wanted C$580 for the hose plus 4 hours labour.

got one from napa for C$125 and used small time garage who did it under 2 hours.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the replies, I would pursue the Aeroquip route, they look like they have high quality stuff, but for simplicity sake I ordered the line from driftmotion, I just need a basic plug and play line for now.

Thanks again.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
gloops;1110293 said:
2 years ago my line went- toyota wanted C$580 for the hose plus 4 hours labour.

got one from napa for C$125 and used small time garage who did it under 2 hours.

i bought my 2jz one for 58$ from napa >=D toyota wanted over 250$ w/ a discount :(

good info figg i will be doing that with my next project... >=)

for one p/s line it came right off *shrug* the second did as well.. the third i remember using a hacksaw...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
i changed my pressure line in my garage without any cutting....twice. Its doable. I didnt life the engine or anything, most i did was loosen a couple of the rack bolts, but event hat was not necessary

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
in my experience, the aftermarket lines fit like shit. I'd go with a toyota line to avoid the pain in the ass of having to bend and tweak the replacement.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
My aftermarket line fit perfect.

On a side note, Orielly's carries 2 different lines, it looked like the other one might have been for a 1J...

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
adampecush;1113016 said:
in my experience, the aftermarket lines fit like shit. I'd go with a toyota line to avoid the pain in the ass of having to bend and tweak the replacement.

Yea, for some of my other projects the after market stuff isn't always the best, but I will take a chance with this one, it seems like it will be fine. The way I'm looking at it is, I could pay around $80 for a stocker or test out a stainless steel route for the same price.

figgie does have some good links there, which is worrying me slightly since the line from driftmotion is not quite as beefy as the aeroquip ones.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Well I received the line from driftmotion, it was a pretty nice line. Key word was, lol.

I set it down on in the engine bay not thinking and started to take the stock line off, I was looking up seeing smoke forming, thinking mmmm..... wtf. I heard my friend say the new line is siting on the battery, he immediately grabbed the new pressure line after seeing thats what was smoking, he ended up burning all of his finger tips and his palm, the darn thing sat on the positive terminal and the hood release latch, and it became HOT!!! It ended up burning a hole in the inner line and scoring the braided line.

img1246sn6.jpg

When I got up I was like dam, what luck! Then my friend said there was a place up the street that made hydraulic lines. We stoped in and the guy said he couldn't make a stainless line, but he could make a rubber line, the quote was $40, I reluctant at first until I saw what line he was going to make it out of, it was BEEFY, 1" 4000psi rated hydraulic line!! The guy said they use the same stuff to make power steering lines for big rigs.

After we got back it took a little persuasion but it went in pretty easily, ended up using the adapters from driftmotions' line with the $40 hose and haven't had any leaks, its been nice not to have to fill it up every day but I find my self opening the hood every day to check, not a bad habit though.