power steering issues

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
hello guys

please help me here regarding my 7mgte power steering issues.

from the time i bought my ma70 supra the power steering never worked so this weekend i got down to changing the powersteering pump.

what i have noticed is below

1. new unit fitted on - still no power steering working, when i turn the steering the fluid pours out the reservoir. tried for hours topping it up and turning steering, nothing happens.

2. there is a plug that on the steering rack running to some kind of solenoid, this is unplugged on my car and i cant find any plug near where it plugs onto - (where does this plug run to ?)

3. on the power steering unit there is 2 vacuum pipes, i only have one vacuum pipe there, absolutely no sign of another vacuum or where it should run to

Please help

regards

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
What do you mean by unit?

As for the plug.. Most 89+ cars came with progressive power steering and that plug is supposed to connect to the rack to regulate pressure through the rack to give it variable assist for different situations. My guess is they replaced the rack wiith an older style rack without progressive poser steering.

As for the vacuum lines. You should have one go from the bottom of your accordian hose to the first nipple on the black thing under the accordian hose. Then one goes from that black thing to a nipple about 5 inches away toward the front of the engine bay.

Make sure your power steering resivoir is not clogged. Search about this. This is one of the biggest problems with mk3 PS

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
hi ofna

unit referring to powersteering pump.

ok so basically u mean that the plug on the steering rack should lead to the powersteering pump ?

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
Ok thanks will check on the vacuum pipes.

My rack does have the solenoid things on them tho. The plug is just lying there on the solenoid side and I can't find the other side of the plug to go in. I'd like to know where does the other end of this plug run to ?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Vacuum comes from the accordion hose on the intake to the little pipe of the front of the timing case.

For the fluid spilling out sounds like you have a clog somewhere after the pump either high pressure hose or the rack.

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
ok thanks

so will the plug on the steering rack not being in, will this cause any issues with the power steering not working ?

also with the vacuum pipes not in on the power steering pump, will this cause any issues ?

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
tried searching for a manual or diaghram on this power steering unit and connections but cant find anything.

anybody knows a link or can email me something ?

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
hi guys still battling to get my powersteering working

if the solenoids for the pps do not get power should the power steering still not work ?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
theres a dirt screen in the resovoier tank. over the years dirt plugs that and as such it cant suck the fluid out fast enough. use some q tips and very carefully scrap the screen. dont push to hard or you will rip it.

i had same issue, and i ended up stabing it with a screwdriver to get it to work. now i use a GE style tank and works awesome.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
^ jet jock what filter do you recommend? I am moving my ps resoviour and if i can add a filter i would love to.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ This. I used the Magnefine under the AFM but a small remote mounted spin-on can also be used even if it's not a true hydraulic filter. One place for it is up front in the return line. A engine oil filter will do although I prefer to use a Trasko in such applications. Anything is better than the stock suction screen.

All this goes double for automatic transmissions. I normally stick with a Trasko on them due to its combination of high flow and depth filtration. The downside with Trasko is having to buy their element rolls but in hydraulic applications they last a long time.

Edit: Although any filter should be installed with the flow correct take extra care on a Magnefine because it will not reverse flow.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Agreed, if I had known I would have put one on long ago. I still need to look at redoing my install. I found it hard to fit under the AFM, but I don't like the current installed position I have at all.

I wish there was some sort of mount for the magnefine to stop it flopping around.

p1791769_1.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
As they say, crude but effective. I see why it was hard to fit though. My 87 had nothing under the AFM except a small harness that had to be slightly moved. I'm guessing that relay is for the cds fans since mine was where your filter is. Leave it to Toyota to move stuff around.

For the flopping you could put an Adel clamp on there. Either one on each hose or a single big one around the filter. Not a fan of cable ties for that sort of thing. Seen them saw through too many things on aircraft.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Its crude all right. I planned to redo it a long time ago but I need a molded U shaped hose to make it work, and never found the time to source one. Without those relays ( I have the A/C pusher fan) it would be a lot easier.