Power steering issue!

Danny7

Mar 7, 2014
Wisconsin
A couple weeks ago I had a power steering line burst. The line from the pump to the rack. Had a spare and replaced it. Filled and bled with atf. It worked 30 seconds and suddenly I lost the power steering again. I have always had a small leak on the passenger side of the rack. It has a split boot and drips a little. Tried bleeding again and I have no hint of any power steering. Popped the top off the reservoir and the screen was basically non existent. Not sure how long it has been like that. There are metal specs floating around in the atf. Would a small leak like that be enough to keep sucking air in? I drove it everyday with it before with no issues. I have a spare working rack and ps pump. It is a 1jz. Before swapping everything out I'd figured I'd ask if there is anything else I can check. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danny7

Mar 7, 2014
Wisconsin
That is what I am going to start with. Hopefully that is the only problem. I really do not want to swap a rack from the project car ha.

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
The way ive always flushed power-steering is to remove the return line back to the reservoir and connect it to another pipe and pipe it directly into a waste oil container.
Then with another person get them to start the engine and turn the wheels while you pour clean atf into the reservoir.
Yes it will suck air and make a big noise but this way your pumping out all the old fluid and the foreign particles in there aswell.
When the return line to waste oil comes back nice and clean then reconnect it and top up as necessary.

But it does sound like the pump isnt pumping. So i would recommend replacing that and fixing the mesh screen, clean everything from the pump to the reservoir then flush it through with the above method. That way the pump will only get clean atf your putting in rather than having the old metal filled atf going back into your new pump. I usually put through 3 quarts or so. atf is cheap