Power Steering Help

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
The DriftMotion line has a hookup for the idle up valve on the line...so you have to remove that assembly from the pump (the valve itself and the fitting it's attached to) and attach the DM hose and put the idle up valve on the DM hose. If you haven't figured it out by this weekend, I'll snap a picture.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
I took a Pic. It reminded me of the adapter the DM line comes with, maybe thats where the confusion is? DM shipped my line attached to the hose. The end of the line rotates free, thats important to installation.

1) Take off banjo fitting and bolt from old PS
2) Remove adapter from DM line if its still on there
3) Tighten down the adapter on the 1JZ PS
4) Now screw in the end of the DM line.

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
That's not how mine looks...that looks like a completely different line than the one that I got...I'll take a picture of mine this weekend if you guys still need it.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Kosh said:
You mentioned you switched to the 2jz pulley? Whats the benefit? And how much did you pay for it? I should be able to get it from the dealership hey?
The 2JZ pulley has a longer arm on it, allowing a greater range of motion. The reason I put it on is I have a 2JZ bottom end on my car, and it works with the taller deck height. Hence the "1.5JZ" in my signature. 3L 1JZ baby :)

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
annoyingrob said:
The 2JZ pulley has a longer arm on it, allowing a greater range of motion. The reason I put it on is I have a 2JZ bottom end on my car, and it works with the taller deck height. Hence the "1.5JZ" in my signature. 3L 1JZ baby :)

AHHHH cool, lol i guess i shoulda checked that out...lol

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Freshmaker said:
I took a Pic. It reminded me of the adapter the DM line comes with, maybe thats where the confusion is? DM shipped my line attached to the hose. The end of the line rotates free, thats important to installation.

1) Take off banjo fitting and bolt from old PS
2) Remove adapter from DM line if its still on there
3) Tighten down the adapter on the 1JZ PS
4) Now screw in the end of the DM line.

Ok here's the deal, I'm gunna try to get a picture up of what i have so far but i'm just really confused cause when the guy did the swap he removed a ton of shit that he shouldn't have(i bought the car like this from him). I don't even have the power steering reservoir!!! At my parents house(which is 3 hrs away from where i currently live) i have my other 87 NA supra(its a parts car). Will i be able to take all the power steering necessities off that one(lines, and reservoir) and use it? Same goes with my heater stuff(another thing i need to fix).

The main reason I'm having trouble understanding is because none of the lines on my power steering are connected.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Once I understand how a system works it helps me to fix problem, so here is the system as far as I understand it. I hope it helps :)

Mount the reservoir somewhere higher than your power steering pump.There is a fat hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump, this is the hose the pump sucks from. Inside the pump the fluid gets pressurized, and gets forced out of the high pressure line (DM line). Most of that pressure gets used in your rack to do work. The left over pressure pushes fluid out of your rack back into your reservoir (maybe through a cooler on the way).

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Freshmaker said:
Once I understand how a system works it helps me to fix problem, so here is the system as far as I understand it. I hope it helps :)

Mount the reservoir somewhere higher than your power steering pump.There is a fat hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump, this is the hose the pump sucks from. Inside the pump the fluid gets pressurized, and gets forced out of the high pressure line (DM line). Most of that pressure gets used in your rack to do work. The left over pressure pushes fluid out of your rack back into your reservoir (maybe through a cooler on the way).

Awesome thanks for that. So my understanding to further that is this, The DM line replaces the original high pressure line. Everything else should already be there from the original 7M motor correct?

I should not need to do any modification besides switching to the DM line.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Kosh said:
Awesome thanks for that. So my understanding to further that is this, The DM line replaces the original high pressure line. Everything else should already be there from the original 7M motor correct?

I should not need to do any modification besides switching to the DM line.

Negative, the location of the 1JZ and 7M reservoir are very different. I had the 1JZ power steering reservoir and the fat line from the reservoir to the pump. The stock location for the 1JZ is behind the battery. If you need to make this line, use bent metal tubing and some rubber hose for connections since it is a negative pressure line.

I pretty much hacked up one of my old lines for the rack to reservoir line. Or, if you need to make this one, go to a hydraulic line shop and get a fitting that screws into your rack and has a male end you can clamp onto. Then run some of that standard 300psi line to your reservoir.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Freshmaker said:
Negative, the location of the 1JZ and 7M reservoir are very different. I had the 1JZ power steering reservoir and the fat line from the reservoir to the pump. The stock location for the 1JZ is behind the battery. If you need to make this line, use bent metal tubing and some rubber hose for connections since it is a negative pressure line.

I pretty much hacked up one of my old lines for the rack to reservoir line. Or, if you need to make this one, go to a hydraulic line shop and get a fitting that screws into your rack and has a male end you can clamp onto. Then run some of that standard 300psi line to your reservoir.

*scratches head*
lol i'm screwed...haha i honestly don't have a problem learning this shit and figuring it out, its really not that complicated but i just can't read shit and understand it. I'm unfortunately a visual learner. Show me how to do something once and i'm a pro, write me a 300 page manual and wouldn't be able to do it. I guess i'm just gunna have to make shit up on this one...lol...Was the engine swap supposed to come with the power steering pump and reservoir or can i still use the stock 7m shit and just make sure it works?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
old thread.

you can use any p/s resovoir you want, that drawing at the top of the page is a good one. Remove the high pressure line, right next to it is the line to the cooler (the green line in the picture above) you remove that too and everything connected to the power steering system in general because the 7m pump is on the passenger side and on the jz engines its on the drivers side.

now that you have you 1jz p/s pump on your engine you need to connect the high pressure line to the rack. how can you do this? well it depends on your pump. some JZ pumps have the 2 vac fitings on it, one goes before the Throttle body one goes after it on the intake manifold and you can buy the driftmotion p/s line and connect to it the only place you can bolt it in on the rack.. if you dont have these vac fittings you need to buy an MKIV power steering line from your local parts store (about 50$) that has the screw in piece for the vac fittings (this is probably 99% of 2jz swaps) if you lack the screw on line piece (check my build thread i have pics) you can buy a new one.

now that your high pressure line is up you need to worry about the resovoir. You can use any resovoir you want as long as it has the correct 1 inch or so line coming off of it and the 1/4 or so line for from the cooler (dont worry about that yet). find a place to mount the resovoir (i used my 7m one, check my build thread you can see it) and get the large hose from the line to the pump (its a low pressure line and it functions as the return line to the pump and then its pumped through the high pressure line to the rack)

now you just need a cooler of some type for the cooler related lines (one of the P/S resovoir and one off the rack that comes off near where you bolted your high pressure line in) run both lines either to eachother or if you have a cooler run it to the cooler and you are done.

if you lack a 7m resovoir buy one off ebay (i would opt for a truck one or some other one thats clear)

this is pretty easy guys take off everything from the 7m and the lines can speak for themselves you can mistake this unless you cant find the lines. after you are done connecting the system flush it until all bubbles are out and the fluid is as red as the stuff you are putting in (check any toyota tsrm on how to flush the p/s system or even a haynes manual) it all applies here

Last edited:

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
On the topic of power steering, those of you using the original 1JZ reservoir, what hose did you use to run the feed line to the pump? It looks like the hose basically has to do a 180 turn from the outlet on the reservoir to get to the pump. Is there something common that fits?

sctwinturbo

May 14, 2007
new jersey
Ds650rida;796656 said:
does anybody know anything about the vaccum lines off of the power steering line on the 1j?

if you remove the vacum hoses from the power steering pump when you get to high speeds the steering wont tighting up it will stay loose

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
sctwinturbo;917656 said:
if you remove the vacum hoses from the power steering pump when you get to high speeds the steering wont tighting up it will stay loose
Wrong.

The vacuum lines are an idle-up valve. When you turn the wheel, the PS pump has an increase in pressure in the HP line, which opens the vacuum valve (it's connected to the HP line). This allows vacuum to run from the intake manifold, to the intake piping just in front of the throttle, creating essentially a vacuum leak to raise idle slightly so the pump isn't bogging the motor down.