power limitation for factory LSD

Booner7M

Sleepy bitch
Apr 9, 2005
Quebec City
www.7MPOWER.COM
Hi

Does anyone now if the factory LSD (gear type) has a power locking limitation

since mine is dying but is still sometimes locking but somethime it feels like its reving for nothing (it feels just like one wheel is spinning but i think its the gears that are worn so no wheels are actually spinning)... I was wondering if it could be because i got like 400hp... maybe one with a plate type clutch would do that but im not sure about this one

thnx

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If it's a T1 Torsen JZA70 style the only limitation is from shock loads if it's an MA70 Clutch LSD it sounds like it's just plain worn out.

(Cavet for both is if you do high speed top end pulls with a strong motor either will destroy the pinion bearings from Oil starvation)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Hm, did not know about the bearing failure on the pinion..

Any way to resolve this, or just run synthtic and hope for the best?

ON the slipping clutch deal, I've found that adding powdered molydisulfied to your diff oil makes the clutches stick. (So much in fact, that on a good unit, it will make it so tight, you can't bear to drive it around slow parking lots...)

Wonder if the moly might help with the bearings too? :)

Time for some more coatings..
Or a pump, cooler and dump the cooled lube oil back over the pinion bearings..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Greg: I've killed a rebuilt Torsen and a factory LSD exact same failure, you could run a pump and cooler like I have ofr the 9" and spray the return at the Crownwheel so it splash feeds the pinion bearings but I'm not sure of the case internals if it would help or not. (one was with Synthetic)