Power folding mirrors

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I have a chance to buy a pair of folding mirrors, can anyone explain what all I need to make these work on a LHD car? Is there a control box needed as well as the mirrors and switch? Is there alot of wiring involved? I'll try to search some more to see if this has been covered, thanks.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
NewWestSupras;1103151 said:
I have a chance to buy a pair of folding mirrors, can anyone explain what all I need to make these work on a LHD car? Is there a control box needed as well as the mirrors and switch? Is there alot of wiring involved? I'll try to search some more to see if this has been covered, thanks.

The standard USDM mirror switch in the center console won't do it. You'll need (unless someone on here knows how to jury-rig it) a JDM switch which has the controls to fold and extend the mirrors as well as the control to select and adjust the left and right mirrors. I haven't seen many of them for sale around here.

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Don't forget the mirrors themselves are also different, your depth perception will be thrown off since the glass is setup for a driver on the right hand side.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
The Dude;1103183 said:
Don't forget the mirrors themselves are also different, your depth perception will be thrown off since the glass is setup for a driver on the right hand side.

Correct! You won't see shit with the RHD mirrors on your LHD mk3:nono:
I wanted to get the jdm folding mirrors to...but soon I dropped the idea
of putting them on my car :sarcasm:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Find a glass shop that does mirror work and have the mirrors replaced with ones that are optically correct for a LHD car.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
People exaggerate on the JDM Mirrors being horrible. I run them on my DD, no problems! I <3 my driver side mirror. It took a few days to get used to the passenger side mirror. Idk of any glass shop, but i'll see if i can find one to replace my passenger side mirror. I just need the folding mirror ecu. I have the switch and the harnesses, i just need the ecu and extend the wires.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Supracentral;1103193 said:
Find a glass shop that does mirror work and have the mirrors replaced with ones that are optically correct for a LHD car.

Exactly. That's my plan. I've got a full set of these with relays, switch, etc...

Maybe once my car starts to look like a car again, I'll start to wire them up. :)

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
s0ulstar;1103198 said:
People exaggerate on the JDM Mirrors being horrible. I run them on my DD, no problems! I <3 my driver side mirror.

^^^ I'm with you there man! I LOVE being able to see so much more with my driver's side mirror. Nearly eliminates any blind spots. I don't really care that shit is slightly smaller, if I'm worried I'm that close I'll hang my head out the window.

I'm getting my passenger side mirror done by a glass shop soon.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
+1 on them not being that bad. The driver's side mirror is awesome, you can see everything. For the passenger side, I just point it to my blind spot and look over my shoulder when I switch lanes, I've gotten used to it.

Like others have said, you need the replacement control switch (with the 'retract' button), and the ECU.

I wired my JDM power folding mirrors, and it wasn't too hard. Here is the wiring diagram for the JDM's: http://www.jzgte.com/tech/1jzgte/1JZMirrors.pdf

That should get you started, good luck finding the components!

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
Kristian_Wraae;1103723 said:
What is the point about power folding? When do you need it?

Are the JDM mirrors also heated?

so you dont have people in the city bump into your mirror and break it. i like when people have them hooked up to their alarm so that they foild automatically after arming the car

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
viper92086;1103733 said:
so you dont have people in the city bump into your mirror and break it. i like when people have them hooked up to their alarm so that they foild automatically after arming the car

No, never seen that. I haven't ever seen a car here that has the mirrors folded when parked either.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I would love to have eather power folding mirrors or euro mirror (non-power). I always have my mirrors on my caddy folded in when im in the garage and wish the supra's would also fold in. It just gives me more wiggle room to get between the cars. I always catch the supra's mirror with my waist. Shit I heard them "crack" a few times now from bumping them so hard :(.. And no I am not fat. I'm 6'2" 195 lbs. I just have a lot of "stuff" in the garage that is only 22'X22'.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
ILikeCarsYesIDo;1103863 said:
I just want the heated seats from Canada...

That would be nice also just to make it "fully loaded" but since my supra will never be driven in cold/snow weather I would really never use them.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
I have the chance to pick up a set of mirrors and the mirror control box but no switch, I've seen a few switches for sale on eBay so it shouldn't be a biggy..

Now my question is, is the box located on the driver side(passenger side in the us), or in the passenger side(driver side in the us)? And do I also need the harness that goes attached to the box?