Power etstimation on my 7m-gte?

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
Redo the intercooler piping? I figured that's what I'd have to do because a filter even as small as the one I have will not fit right there beside the piping when its directly on the AFM. I see you have some aluminum piping. What size? As you saw mine is 3" and I'd appreciate a pic of your engine bay so I could see how you managed to route.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Wildfire007;1719651 said:
Redo the intercooler piping? I figured that's what I'd have to do because a filter even as small as the one I have will not fit right there beside the piping when its directly on the AFM. I see you have some aluminum piping. What size? As you saw mine is 3" and I'd appreciate a pic of your engine bay so I could see how you managed to route.

When I had an AFM, I had the K&N filter directly fitted to the afm housing. The IC piping is 2.5in and follows the stock flow pattern. Here is a closer pic of the engine bay before I upgraded my turbo and went with a VPC eliminating the afm. If you need more detailed photos...I could try and get one tomorrow or something....

p1719655_1.jpg

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Hmm 2.5 and the filter fits perfectly. Mine doesn't even had the crank fan or shroud it has an electric fan mounted on the radiator. My radiator isn't stock and I'm wondering if maybe its a combination of it being a bit too long and the piping being a bit too wide. Basically as you can see from my pics that whole area where the filter should sit is taken up. I tried putting my filter right on the AFM and just forced it to fit where it will sit, but I was getting fuel cut out the ass as soon as the turbo began to kick in so I assumed the little bit of the filter against the face of the radiator was causing the airflow to be strangled or something.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Just to clarify...I didn't necessarily mean redo the piping....just the accordian hose thing. If the goal is to keep the piping...you'll probably have to consider keeping it the way it is...or getting rid of the afm and using piggybacks to replace it so that you can shorten the hose to where the afm is and put a filter on there.

If that won't work, you might have to scrap the piping and start over.

Just way all your options, price out piping/custom metal fab work and make a decision.

Do you have any local performance shops that do custom fab work where you could get some ideas?

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Well I did reposition my filter a bit just a minute ago, just so the face of it is at least pointed toward a whole at the wheel well. The assumption was that it would at least suck in a little more fresh/cool air and really it seemed to run a bit smoother on the ride. Turbo kicked in very smoothly instead of a sudden jolt and there was 0 hesitation which I'd begun to notice just tiny jerks like it was a wee bit strangled for airflow. There is one performance shop in town but since the named is "So and so's Rod Shop" I'm pretty sure they focus on American muscle. Only guy I know with Supras around here is dead set on keeping his two cars bone stock so I can't really get any info from him about performance shops in north Alabama that offer that sort of thing. I'm probably gonna just scrap the piping at some point and just do it all over. I really appreciate everyone on the forum that has tried to help a beginner like me.

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
57 trim ct26 turbo
2.5" hardpipes
3" downpipe back exhaust
mhg w/ arp studs
spearco intercooler
bov of your choice
lexus afm/maft basic/maft pro/hks vpc safc combo ect. your choice 15-18psi boost tune
clutch to hold it
wideband
boost controller
aeromotive afpr
walbro fuel pump
550cc injectors

-these mods should easily get you to 350-400whp now depending on how good the motor is it should hold unless you go beating on it with a stock motor then you might run into some problems, keep in mind there are things i am missing in there but you get the picture on how to reach your goals on a pretty low budget