Power etstimation on my 7m-gte?

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
I've only owned it for 5 months or so and I'm no expert on cars but I've fallen in love. The car came with a few upgrades already on it and the engine supposedly on has 50k or less miles on it according to the previous owner. I will say the engine runs strong and I've never had a problem out of it.

Upgrades include:
A) 4" exhaust without cat. It wasn't removed, it was made without it. Sounds amazing.
B) Intercooler upgrade that is at least twice the size of stock. The intercooler piping required is 3".
C) GReddy blow-off valve.

It still has stock injectors, fuel pump, and AFM. I will be upgrading the injectors when I'm able, as well as getting the Lexus AFM. But even without that what would you guys say it is running at? I was told by the previous owner about 260+rwhp/280torque.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
My bad I realized how useless of info that was after the fact. I believe its the stock turbo and if I remember correctly the previous owner said he was running 10 psi. I can't be certain because I have to get a new boost gauge since the stock one is not working.

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
That would be the higher end for 10psi. Sounds like a good platform to start with.

Also, a bov wont add power but can recover lost power... I gained 1.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile by replacing the stock bov that was leaking lol.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
One problem I'm having due to the massive IC piping is placement of my air-filter. Right now I have it rigged up with an adapter for my AFM, some flex piping and then the air filter on the end of the piping. Its sorta laid to the side and the car runs strong, but I've been told that despite my IC I need to fight a way to route it so it won't be sucking so much hot air out of the engine bay. If I need to post this somewhere else just let me know, but how did other people handle that issue with large IC piping? Mine is routed right through the area my stock filter and box would bolt on.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Post pics. Most guys only run 2.5in piping for your power level. Really no reason to run 3in.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
I'll get some pics as soon as I can, which will probably be tomorrow since its night time already. One question. If the answer is indeed getting smaller aluminum pipes for the IC how would I go about that since 3" is what fits it. I guess it could be seen as a stupid question but do they make adapters or something? Super new to this stuff.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Nothing on the 7m is 3in. tb is 2.75 od and the turbo is 2in. If the by the intercooler you just get a reducer. You just have to figure things out. 3in has been done p0lenty of times. Who knows maybe the po just routed wierd.

winsauce

they call me cotton jr
Sep 17, 2010
Dayton, OH
3 in pipe will just make it laggy... laggy enough to warrant you rip it all out and go with 2.5 in... probably not.

do you want to know what mods you need to make X ammnt of power? or are you wondering where your currently @ with the mods you are running currently? if you have some $$$ burning a hole in your pocket id recomend some basic bpu stuff. If you budget properly and can do most of the work yourself 400hp can be done with a pretty modest price tag...

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Well actually my goal is 350 with the highest being 400. I know its capable of way more but I'd rather not HAVE to invest in forged internals just to keep stuff from breaking. So what further would I need on my current mods to get 350-400hp? I know I still need the 550cc injectors. I was told the ones out of a turbo eclipse work well. And I still need the lexus afm housing to allow more airflow. What fuel pump should I get? And when the compression test was done 5 months ago it was good. I don't know what it was but my mechanic said the engine was in good condition. Should I get the metal hg and retorque the head before going for this kinda power? And while I am super new to my love of cars and my love of the 7m I am VERY eager to learn.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Here are some images of my current, and rather ghetto-rigged, set up for the air filter.

n318ow.jpg

2aaip08.jpg

8yxnpx.jpg

k0g42h.jpg

8yxnpx.jpg

flyjum

Oct 5, 2006
Mesa AZ
Power could be 250-300rwhp
Depends on mileage on the engine

If its stock downpipe then it would be on the low end of that.

Also 3'' piping does not make lag a but if you had a super small displacement engine with 4 cylinders it might.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Alright thanks, I assumed I was running around 260ish so that sounds right. Also judging by the pics you can see my current issue with the filter is rather annoying and bad for intake temperature. I assumed the IC would make up some of the difference but how did others manage to route their own air filters with piping such as mine?

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Lol thanks man its all I could come up with to have a quick fix. If I reduced the piping back to the stock size but kept the larger IC how much would that affect my horsepower? I ask this simply so that I could properly route an airfilter. Anyone know anyone that has dealt with this issue and could offer their solution?

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
sorry for the thread hijacking
how much HP/TQ would I achieve with:
ct-26 57mm
lex afm
550cc
3" downpipe and exhaust (all the way, no cat)
spearco intercooler

I'm guessing 350rwhp easily, Am I right or crazy?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Supra0089;1719336 said:
I would get rid of the accordian and start over...just IMO. Get a K&N and put it right on the AFM and be done with it.

Should get something other than a k&n. They suck at filtering and kill afm's. Something like a apexi or aem dryflow would be better.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
shipkiller;1719616 said:
sorry for the thread hijacking
how much HP/TQ would I achieve with:
ct-26 57mm
lex afm
550cc
3" downpipe and exhaust (all the way, no cat)
spearco intercooler

I'm guessing 350rwhp easily, Am I right or crazy?

I don't think 350 w/o tuning. You will be easy with tuning though. I'd guess 300rwhp.....maybe 310

hvyman;1719627 said:
Should get something other than a k&n. They suck at filtering and kill afm's. Something like a apexi or aem dryflow would be better.

I've never had a problem with my K&N with almost 30k miles on it. Just have to clean it regularly...

The apexi/aem filters are great as well...

...either way just redo the "piping"

Last edited: