Powdercoating Question

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks for the responses gents. You have confirmed what I thought. I was mainly concerned about how the seals would handle the heat.

I painted my stock calipers with a POR-15 kit and they came out looking acceptable, especially when compared to the stock look. I figured that a powerdercoated finish would be the ultimate of finishes.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
A powder coat finish with clear would be best. I have yet to powdercoat my calipers, but its on my list of to do's....

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
gofastgeorge;1245922 said:
People who can't spray paint won't be able to powder coat either.
Its all about workmanship.

what? who you talking about?

this knumb nuts has a video in his siggy about how to post in forums and yet he still cant do it correctly.:nono:

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, gotta disassemble the calipers.

IMHO it's not worth it as the chance of you getting powder in places it's not supposed to be is large (know this from a friend's experience).

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
I got an electric one from sears $150 I think. Works nice, not sure how it stacks up against a professional air unit. For people just doing small projects out of there garage I would get one.

I think the hardest part to powercoating is getting the part really clean and baking times.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i was planning on getting a powdercoat set from eastwood http://www.eastwoodco.com/ looks like they've got some nice stuff.

baking times aren't too hard, i think i read it was around 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

poodles, could you mask a part with a high temp grease? don't think so since the powder would bake anywhere, but i know we've masked with wd40 before when spray painting.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
You can't go by that. Baking times for parts are going to depend on a lot of factors. The stove, the type of metal and how thick you load the powder up. Like anything practice makes perfect.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
gravesdu_99;1246058 said:
You can't go by that. Baking times for parts are going to depend on a lot of factors. The stove, the type of metal and how thick you load the powder up. Like anything practice makes perfect.

thanks for the clarification, didn't think it could be that easy :D

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
gaboonviper85;1245800 said:
Cause spray paint sucks donkey nutts!!

Yes they can be powder coated but you need to completely take them appart as they get baked.

your just all about shittin on people lately...

i got mine blasted, and then painted them with the VHT caliper paint and mine look fine... there filthy right now because i havent washed them for a good 2 months... but the paint looks good if you apply it in several light coats and then a few medium coats.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i just started PCing stuff, theres a few things u need to consider when doing this. Make sure the surface is clean from oil or any type of dirt or dust. Diff. types of powders require diff. curing time. Not the easiest thing to do but not bad, just requires time and patience. Hopefully i'll be offering this service to you guys soon.

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks again everyone for the responses. I will still consider the VHT paint method, but I may have to have someone else do it for me because I suck at applying paint. I am one of those guys who learns best by watching someone else perform it or instruct me for the first time. My work will always improve, but the first time.....

I managed to paint my stock calipers, but I would only rate myself a C to C- grade on finish. If I were to redo them, I know I could bring that up to a B grade.

My goal is to get one of those ARZ's BBKs and have them colored for my application. I want a great finish and cannot trust my hands for a first time application on these calipers.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i used bbq paint on my valve covers, intake manifold, and throttlbe body... ect

still looks good. just have to use light coats, and painting with a rattle can in the winter is almost always doomed to fail.