Powdercoat

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
hmmm ive seen the Dp that Bic sends you without the polish and shit, and its kinda...ugly looking, i mean the color and shit..kinda looks messy..there is some..weld thru paint i think on the welds and shit...if i remember correctly from the picture.

I was wondering, would it be any good if I had my DP powdercoated ?? or would that kind of paint not hold cause of the hight temps exhaust gaz ?? any other suggestions on making the DP nice.

Thanks guys

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Can't you leave it as-is? Who's going to be looking at your downpipe? ..'cause I'll tell you, it won't impress the inspections guys. :D

NJSUPRA

Banned
Apr 1, 2005
NJ
No powdercoat will bubble off. Even if you use the high temp versions(trust me ive tried it). Ceramic coating is your best option.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
I could polish it ??? so whats the grit countdown...start with 220 and finish at what ?? 2000 water ? and it should shine ?....any chance of polish rusting ??? or do I have to protect it with clear coat of some sort ??

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I went with a nice ceramic coat on my HKS 75mm turbo exhaust. Still looks GREAT even after 7 or 8 years. When I redo the engine and dp... it will be ceramic coated too.

Powdercoating is very nice though. I got my TEMS caps coated blue and WOW! Talk about a POP of color when I open the hood.

Keith

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Ceramic thermal coatings are the best for your exhaust system.
They hold up to the temps, and they limit corrosion issues. (Inside and out if you have them coated right.)

I've coated everything except my HKS cat back... LOL, it just has some 1600f high temp paint on there, and has been holding up very well. (Limited rust, only at the welds, and then I stripped and painted it again, so no more rust.)

I have had this mild steel exhaust in the car since 1996, and about 60k miles. Still in great shape. (Looks pretty much stock, but is twisted funny due to my downpipe design, and to keep it off the ground as much as possible...)

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
hmmm, well gimme approx, someone who had his DP done or something..is it 25-50-150$$.... just to gimme an idea

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i can't see it costing more than $150.check the web for like jet hot coat or something,do inside and outside if you can afford it