Post your Pre-89 bumper thread

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
Orion ZyGarian;1292724 said:
I love how simple and clean the GRacer looks, but I want to stay pre89. It would be neat to see some modding.

SuprA70's Supra is just that:

p1292735_1.jpg

p1292735_2.jpg

Along with a modified front air passage:

p1292735_3.jpg

SCS are kicking butt. Except for mine lol.

You also have A-to-the-J's Panda A70:
p1292735_4.jpg

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
viper92086;1292631 said:
here's my updated pre89 front end pics... since i smashed my bomex pre89 dual hole lip, i have decided to cheap out until i get my greddy bumper. so here we have my $4 home depot lip reinforced with a steel strip to give it some rigidity.

streetwars5169.jpg

streetwars5-33.jpg

Dude tell me exactly what you bought and how you mounted it. I think that looks better then your 2 hole easily.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Two options: weatherstripping or garden bed/lawn liner (I think that's what it's called.) The weatherstripping is more rubber like material where as the garden bed liner is a tough rigid plastic.

Use STRONG double sided tape and stick it to a metal strip that can be bent to the desired shape. Fold the top edge of your lip in to make a flat mounting surface, and secure it using the same hardware as your stock lip, including metal strips. That's how I did mine.

I think that rather than bolting his lip up to the stock lip location, viper92086 appears to have stuck it on there with something similar to the STRONG double sided tape that I referred to above. This works too, but raises the lip up above the stock mounting location. This looks fine on darker colored cars, IMO, but messes up the lines on lighter or brightly colored cars. It looks great on his with the black skirts.

viper92086: The look of your car is pure inspiration for my 86.5. Looks freaking awesome!

Collin

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
thanks for the compliments guys. eventually i want to get the whole car repainted because i want a show quality finish. the maaco paint is holding up but its got some clearcoat issues. The reason why the car is two tone cause im a poor college student lol, so i was just able to paint the bodykit myself haha. it just ended up turning out like this.

as for the gracer i'm not sure if i'd do it pre89 style or 89+. everything is just a thought right now cause i'm looking for a full time job (just graduated college not to long ago)

I used the 3m gray double side tape. this stuff is insanely strong and im sure it will pull off my paint once i take it off. i'm using it to hold on my rear visor and i messed up when i was putting on one of my brackets and i couldnt get it back off. Like gotboosted said, i doubt something like this would look good if you dont have sideskirts to match or if your car is too light colored. but if you dont have a lip you really have nothing to loose. The stuff i used is called cove base. you can find it in the flooring section of homedepot. its that stuff you find along the floor and wall of commercial buildings.

BTW there is a guide floating around here with someone else who had done it and made a frame behind his cove base lip and thats what i followed. altho i used a wider metal strip to create this frame.