Post Winter storage, rough idle. weird finding.

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
So pulled the car out this past Monday. Car sit outside for Winter storage covered. Temps range from -10 to -35 celsius. After going through the car(which consist of yanking the rag outta exhaust and reinstalling the battery lol) start it up and it idles extremely rough running on 4-5 cylinders(feels like) and is pulling 5-10 inches of vacuum. Shut it off. Try firing again and same result.

Check the plugs and 4 out 6 plug caps are raised up 1/2 inch to an 1inch off the plug. I'm confused, never had this happen before, car was running top notch prior to storage. How the hell do plug cap raise up off the plug?
I noticed as well the valve covers were leaking, could the oil in the plug valley have something to do with it?

After jamming them back down refiring the car it runs smoother, but I think a plug is fouled now as it still has a bit of a stumble. Time to change them anyways.

Anyone ever heard of this happening or is this just a fluke one in a million thing?

termn8r2000

I'LL BE BACK..........
Apr 14, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
This might be a stupid question, but did you condition your fuel before you stored it? I have had gas go bad in a few months of sitting in a tank. As far as the plug wire boots coming off, I have had this happen to my 89T very often. Now I push the entire boot into the spark plug well instead of just "snapping" into place on top of the well. The boots don't pop off at all now.

Just some thoughts

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
I would say probably bad fuel, drain it and put fresh fuel in.
When I store mine I try to run the tank close to empty, then store it. When I go to wake it up, I drain any remaining fuel out and then fill with fresh.

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
Fuel stabilize the car every winter before storage. Fuel does not break down as fast in the winter as it does in the summer. I always fill the tank right full to prevent any condensation in the tank then add the fuel stabilizer drive it around for 20-30 mins then top up the tank. Been doing this for 10 years with the car. Have never seen this problem before.

So little update after going to change the plugs there was about an 1/2 inch of water in each of the plug holes. looks like the rubber seal that meets the back of the hood has fallen off and water drained from rain I assume prior to storage into the plug valley then leaked down in the holes expanded and popped the plug caps up when it froze.

So after changing the plugs and fixing the valve covers car is running like a top again. Now have to fix the rubber backing.

Never encountered this problem before hope I don't again, So used to every spring walking out turning the key and hearing it fire I was a little heart broken when it sounded like a wounded cat on the side of the road.