Post HG Repair / Not 100%

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
First off, to start it, i need to give it some throttle or it will never start. Once it does, idle is ok and all seems well. About 45-60 seconds later, the idle will start to lower(400-500) and almost stall but will usually catch itself. Around this same time, my exhaust manifold will start emitting white smoke, i've checked, it does NOT come out the tail pipe(in my case 3" dp to the atmosphere for the time being). Only around the mani, and secondly i have NOT noticed any smoke from the turbo, just the mani.

To top both of these off, it seems like neither my coolant temp or oil poressure gauge are working, both of them are below C or 0 respectively, and will not budge when car is running. So you know, i replaced the exh mani with a brand new two layer gasket so it's not a leak of exhaust. I thought it may just be burning off old traces of oil/coolant but it doesn't explain why it starts to sputter on its own, i can save it by manually pushing the throttle under the hood, then it will stabilze and be ok for 10-15 seconds, then tries to stall again...

I just want my baby back, two weeks to fix a BHG and now she wont run right.. :3d_frown:

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
well for the idling that happened to me and still does and it was my AFM, and a vacume leak. as for the coolent, did you do the BHG? and also did you flush all the fluids?

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes i did the BHG repair, i drained the radiator and water neck but not any coolant that was still in the block. Also, have changed the oil twice, and i haven't even driven it yet, just let it run, or attempt to.

I'm going to go get all new hose clamps and double check the vacuum lines.

Any ideas on the white smoke?

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
AjWit;1298336 said:
Yes i did the BHG repair, i drained the radiator and water neck but not any coolant that was still in the block. Also, have changed the oil twice, and i haven't even driven it yet, just let it run, or attempt to.

I'm going to go get all new hose clamps and double check the vacuum lines.

Any ideas on the white smoke?

well how long did you run the supra for since the bhg? because when i did my hg repair, it would smoke white for a while, and just ran it for a while until all the white smoke went away, cause there was still a bit of coolent/water in the exhaust.

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It's only been ran for lets say,...2-3 minutes in total. In your opinion, since the car runs, i'm not getting tailpipe smoke, timing belt and timing is good, and fluids are all full and seem kosher, should i just let the car run and assume the idle is due to vacuum/or other similar minor problem?

I was going to go back out and let it run but i don't want this to be a sign of very bad things to come shortly.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
well i would figure out all the minor problems like the coolent temp/oil pressure. did you also check your turbo lines? and any cracked hoses, cause i had white smoke problem when my turbo cooling lines had a crack. it would hit the exhaust mani and burn off that.

and try looking through all you IC piping.

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I watched the exhaust manifold when it was doing it, no drips or visible leaks. It was smoking from the seal/gasket area and the entire manifold itself, not like only in one spot.

I just drove it around the block actually, the idle issue came and went all on its on, so it probably is just a vaccum or seal. When i got back and parked it, i took off the radiator cap and it overflowed as a did that(cap wasn't hot though), and when the oil cap came off a bit of smoke came out. Is this normal for those two after running?

EDIT: Coolant temp is working, i guess i didn't let it run long enough before, but still no oil pressure gauge.

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Do i seriously only need like a paper clip to check, i know where the relay is under the hood and the idea behind it, but do i seriously just stick a paper clip into the two holes and then count the check engine light for code numbers?

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
That's all there is to it. Keep the ignition on, jumper the diag block, and you'll either see a steady blink, or a pause followed by the codes. It repeats endlessly till it's unjumpered. gl.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Did you ever take out the CPS?

Was the timing at <0 Degree's> on the crank pulley, and the marks on the camshaft gear line up on the backing plate? Did you check it by rotating the motor twice clockwise to match the marks up again to make sure they were correct?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
If the mani is actually smoking with NO residue on the OUTSIDE, its leaking. Greasy hands move this part and handling that will tend to provide a smoke show until the oil/residue is burned off.

For the other symptoms, assuming EVERYTHING is sealed, seated and working as it should idle is a learned function. However mine NEVER idles LOW when things are reset.... Its always a high idle for the first few miles.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
AjWit;1298367 said:
When i got back and parked it, i took off the radiator cap and it overflowed as a did that(cap wasn't hot though), and when the oil cap came off a bit of smoke came out. Is this normal for those two after running?

Both are normal - coolant will overflow even when its not "hot" because the pressure is building above atmospheric

I have taken my oil filler off after flogging the car with it off and have a steady(but small) flow of vapor/smoke out of the filler hole. It is completely normal.

Good luck with the rest of the issues

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you guys for all the help, idle has been getting better. And now the exhaust manifold doesn't smoke anymore, i got lucky and it was residue i guess. Now my turbo kicks smoke out of the tailpipe when it rev it and the turbo starts to spool up. It doesn't smoke from the turbo, just spits out smoke from the tailpipe when i let it spool up, it also makes a whistling noise but i think thats because i have my dp to the atmosphere now.

please read and help.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94544