Possibly beating a dead horse... (intercooler piping)

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
So I went to my local Toyota/Scion dealership in town and asked about the downpipe for the turbo to the intercooler. Mine when I was putting it on was dryrotted and crumbled if squeezed. So I went to get a new pipe and they actually have it in stock for only $130 for one pipe.

I've used the SEARCH option already and been looking for a few hours and cant find what I'm looking for.

I'm wondering where I can get a drop in Hard Pipe kit for the turbo. And maybe the coolant hoses too. But mainly the turbo. I've seen real general ones on Ebay for about $130. So I'm thinking of upgrading to the hard pipes instead of buying the rubber one if it's close to the same price.

If someone could nudge me in the right direction it will be much appreciated!!

Later, and Thanks for the help!!!!

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
lppro said:
if you have good fabrication skills you can get a universal kit for cheep and just make it fit... i just bought one on ebay for $58

Yeah, seen those but will the bends be good in the kit or do I basically get the tubing and bend myself?

btw... how do you bend it in the backyard???

Thanks for the help!!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it's still in the $90 range...

there is a company that makes a drop in replacement for the hot pipe, but I forgot their name (they where one these forums though)

cooleeze makes just the lower piping as well...

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Poodles said:
it's still in the $90 range...

there is a company that makes a drop in replacement for the hot pipe, but I forgot their name (they where one these forums though)

cooleeze makes just the lower piping as well...

think the company name was speed source.

It does not take much to assemble out of universal pipes though. Mine only took one long 45 degree pipe, a small pipe just to extend, and a couple of couplers.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the speed source even mounts to the frame like stock, one of the reasons I liked it...

I have cooleeze though because I got em for the right price...

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
dugums said:
think the company name was speed source.

It does not take much to assemble out of universal pipes though. Mine only took one long 45 degree pipe, a small pipe just to extend, and a couple of couplers.

So a 45degree pipe should reach from the bottom of the turbo down to that metal elbow with an extension piece?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
james_9876 said:
So a 45degree pipe should reach from the bottom of the turbo down to that metal elbow with an extension piece?

I can measure the pipes for you tomorrow when I go out to work on it. I'm running a spearco IC, but the IC inlet is in the same place. I also have a pretty good place you could order the individual pipes if you just want to do the bottom half for now. The 45 degree one that I used is pretty long -- I used one on the top and it goes all the way from the TB to a few inches away from the fender hole.

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I already have upper and lower hardpipes but still have the stock pipe that goes thru the fender. Is there a hardpipe available for that piece that can be purchased seperately or do I basically have to get that one mocked up?

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
SUPERIUM said:
I already have upper and lower hardpipes but still have the stock pipe that goes thru the fender. Is there a hardpipe available for that piece that can be purchased seperately or do I basically have to get that one mocked up?
Check with cooleeze, they are good.
Jet

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
My cousin used the cooleeze lower hard pipe, you can buy it without having to buy the full upper kit also....

I used 2 45 degree bends on mine, but I also have a different IC, but looking at speed source's pipe, it's almost identical to mine, except it's a smaller diameter.

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
Here's a picture of my setup using ebay pipes (100 shipped) The only thing i do recommend is picking up some T clamps. To cut the pipes your going to have to invest in a grinder and a file to smooth out the edges
DSC02248.JPG

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
do people generally roll the edges on there homemade hard pipes just wondering because i was thinking of getting a pipeing kit to do the upper charge pipes

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
themadhatter said:
do people generally roll the edges on there homemade hard pipes just wondering because i was thinking of getting a pipeing kit to do the upper charge pipes

The universal kit I got was really nice - It had bead-rolled ends and I only had to make one cut. The cut need was also on a straight part of the pipe, so I wasn't too worried about it blowing off.

I'll take some pics of the setup today and post it here.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I'm having most of my pieces welded together. There's a coupler at the t-body, right before the headlight, two at the IC, one on the lower pipe, and one on the turbo.