Possible Turbo Death Whine

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Ok, so I have a dilemma.

My car is making a really loud whine, seemingly from the turbo side of the car, in the engine bay. I doesn't make this sound when I rev the car or when I downshift and the rpms go up. It only seems to make the whine when it under load and starts to build boost. So I'm thinking it HAS to be the turbo, right?

Well, I pulled off the accordian hose and checked for shaft play, there wasn't hardly any and it didn't seem to run rough at all. So I decided that I would change it out with the turbo on my parts car. Then when I checked the shaft play on that it was more if anything. But when that car was running it didn't make any sort of whine at all.

So I guess my question is: Is there anything else that could be making that whine but only under load? Should I go ahead and swap the turbos, that should fix the problem right?

Thanks in advance,

Blake

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Thanks for the vid

Yup that's pretty much what it sounds like. But I just don't get it, I has an ok amount of shaft play side to side and almost zero front to back. Like I said, it seems to be better than the one I might have to swap in. I dunno, I guess I'll just swap and see what happens :(

SLO-MK3

Not on the 1jz bandwagon
Nov 4, 2006
Plumas Lake, CA
yeah, keep us updated. mine has similar symptons(slight side to side and almost zero in/out) but is still very quiet. I have to turn off the radio and heater and roll up the windows to hear it. It still pulls pretty good though.

lets face it, these puny CTs were'nt built to handle the type of abuse we like to throw at them, that's why I'm upgrading during my summer build.:evil2:
(i hope the ct lasts that long)

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i noticed on one of my old turbos that i had to install there was alot of play all around. after i put it on the car and got some oil flowing through it it tightened up alot to where there was "acceptable" shaft play. that old turbo probibly has been sitting w/o oil in it and this is leading to the increase in "bench" play so to speak.

as for the video, wow thats a really extreme case of a turbo dying. mine was alot quieter. have someone drive behind you and look for puffs of smoke when you get on it, right after you let off and look for smoke at idle.

lastly check that your lower intercooler pipe is in good shape. a pinhole leak (from old cracked pipes maybe?) can cause similiar noises. good luck man!

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
any in/out is bad.. if there is in/out the turbo will die very soon, or is all ready dead..

The fin on my 87's turbo were bent and it caused it to whine bad.. I broke the bent part off (lol) and it stopped whining.. but its going to die soon im sure, rofl..

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I would think that the tolerances of the turbine blades to the housing are so close that even a slight bit of side to side play would cause the blades to hit the housing and make the whine noise.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
tekdeus said:
I would think that the tolerances of the turbine blades to the housing are so close that even a slight bit of side to side play would cause the blades to hit the housing and make the whine noise.

Nope, they are definately NOT hitting the housing.

I think before I bother taking the turbo out I'm going to do with MKIIINA said, check for some leaky IC piping. The pipes are in good shape, nice and supple. But if any of you saw my oil pan thread, well that rock I hit also put a bit of a dent in the IC. Didn't seem bad, but I'm going to check it for holes as well.

Thanks for the help guys! I will update when/if I figure out the solution.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Thanks again for the tips guys, saved me from swapping a turbo just to find out I had the same sound.

Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down to the power steering pump. It didn't seem to be making the sound unless it was under load, but if I stuck my head under the hood and revved it that way I could kinda hear it. I REALLY don't think it's the turbo, it spins too smoothly and doesn't have much shaft play at all. I checked for a boost leak as well: blocked off one end of the piping with a pressure gauge and filled up the other side with the air compressor, it held 10psi just fine.

So, thanks again to everyone that helped out!

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
so are you going to remove the power steering pump pulley and see what happens?

drive safe, im not sure if that will make it really hard to steer or not...

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
GLAD TO HEAR I SAVED YA SOME TIME! turbos arent alot of fun to replace (6 in the last year) so i try and look for other signs before i pull things apart and check other things out. good luck man

RedDogOIF

RedDogOIF
Nov 21, 2006
Elk Grove
you mentioned the puffs of smoke, when I put my pedal down in 5th gear, or any for that matter, there is a good puff of white smoke out the back....possible turbo failing?

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I've had a dynoing CT26 on my car before.

I've also had the slightest boost leak in my lower IC pipe...it was just a thin crack, and would only open when under load building boost.

The sounds were VERY similar...and happened at the same time...so I would at least make an effort to check your pipes/hoses...if not, then throw your other turbo on.

Also, does it smoke at all, or more than it regularly did?

-Jeff

*EDIT* Boy, did I miss a few posts. :)
Any irregular smoking habits coming from your exhaust, BIG smoke clouds at a time, after boosting a lot...= possible blown seals.