Possible Damaged Vane Type AFM

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
Its been just over a year and I still haven't cracked this one, also struggling to find a second AFM in order to look at contrast.

This night a friend and I back probed the car whilst driving, if anyone has some experience please give your opinions on the below results:

Hot idle - 3.8v
Cold idle - 2.8v
Off throttle decel/coasting - 1.8v
On throttle cruising approx 2000rpm -1.1v
Full throttle at low rpms - 0.8v
As turbocharger spools - 0.6v
Maximum load, maximum flow rate - 0.37v (4000rpm to redline same value)

Please give your thoughts.

Rob

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I never checked one. I am sure the part on multiple cars with different engines is the same. Like Camry's and the 5SFE. I think the intake hoses are the same, but am not positive. The MR2 with the 3SGTE also used that meter. So you can look to those for a part and a good baseline. That is all I have.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
3p141592654;1751383 said:
Seems to be working okay, but the meter is too small for the job. The load is 100% from 4000rpm on. I believe the MR2s do something similar.

Toyota really annoys me with their crappy airflow meters. Why they didn't pony up and get the hot wire mass airflow sensor from Hitachi is beyond me. Fuel cut would have been solved long before the Lex meter via the same route. Larger meter and injectors.

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
It was the 80's lets be thankful that its a digital system and not analogue!

Fingers crossed I may have fixed the issue plaguing my car. I found a crack on the vacuum hose between the AFM and t-piece which spits to the entry of the compressor housing. The spit was at the t-piece end, I plugged the gap with some silicone and fitted back to the car. There has been an improvement although I am surprised that such a small crack would make such a significant difference, however, there is still the original power surge at 5000rpm. I reset the ecu and no more power surge, I wont be sure if the problem is fixed for at least a weeks worth of driving.

Fingers crossed!