possible a bhg will leak out of block?

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
since i had my mkiii from September its been slowly leaking antifreeze. i just kept topping up the overflow but now its leaking really fast. i can see it leak from somewhere between the firewall and engine block closest to piston 6. its dark and cramped so im pushing it off till later. but now i took a flashlight and i can see antifreeze dripping somewhere from the head onto the exhaust and trani.
so im hoping its a cheap repair and just replace the head gasket but what else is back there? i hope its not the heater core. so is it possible that the head gasket is leaking out of the engine and not into the cylinders? there is not foam on the oil cap and the psi in the first 2 pistons are 125psi

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
twan;1473012 said:
1 i just kept topping up the overflow but now its leaking really fast.
2 i can see it leak from somewhere between the firewall and engine block closest to piston 6. its dark and cramped so im pushing it off till later. but now i took a flashlight and i can see antifreeze dripping somewhere from the head onto the exhaust and trani.
3 so im hoping its a cheap repair and just replace the head gasket but what else is back there?
4 i hope its not the heater core.
5 so is it possible that the head gasket is leaking out of the engine and not into the cylinders? there is not foam on the oil cap and
6 the psi in the first 2 pistons are 125psi

1 Not really good practice, your cooling system needs pressure, but ok
2 There are coolant lines back there
3 Wouldnt consider a headgasket job cheap, at least if you want it to last.
4 Heater core is on the otherside of the firewall. And idk about you but i would much rather replace a heater core than a hg
5 Yes, happened to my last truck
6 Thats low. How are you doing the comp test? Read up, then try again on all cylinders and report back.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
its easy to see it, but to check for leaks, either small mirror or use you hands. its a true bitch to change with big hands.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
RazoE;1473336 said:
I had to change that hose on my 89 and 92, it fucking sucked, but I'm glad it wasn't a BHG..!

Heh, With that hose, I think I'd just do the head gasket while I was at it... On top of that hose, it's not that much more work. :icon_razz

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
to answer the orig question, yes a bhg can leak externally
my supra did exactly that,cept it was at the front corner of the head not the rear.
hope its the hose!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i can see that lil "L" shaped hose fine on my car and easy to replace. on my old car i used the have the heater hose directly in the center of the head behind no.6 leaking cuz the shit worm clamp kept coming loose.

buy or rent a pressure tester and use a mirror and flashlight to find out exactly where its coming from. basically any answer here is going to be a guess as we dont have the car in front of us. but we can give clues and thats what has been posted previously.

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
hvyman;1474241 said:
i can see that lil "L" shaped hose fine on my car and easy to replace. on my old car i used the have the heater hose directly in the center of the head behind no.6 leaking cuz the shit worm clamp kept coming loose.

buy or rent a pressure tester and use a mirror and flashlight to find out exactly where its coming from. basically any answer here is going to be a guess as we dont have the car in front of us. but we can give clues and thats what has been posted previously.

yeah i like the pressure tester idea. so i looked at the leak again and its coming from that 1'' L hose. its actually leaking ontop of the head so it looks like it leaks below the head. but i cannot see the other end of the hose to take off the hose clamp.

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
if you are going to replace that hose anyway go ahead and replace the garbage stock clamps for something better. With the idea that you are replacing the clamps and that the clamps are pinch on rather than screw on you could wiggle the hose off verry carefully without taking off the clamp. mirrors work wonders when trying to find the type of clamp you have on this hose. And considering you dont want to change this hose again any time soon and that hoses are extremely cheap get something more durable than the hose you pick up at napa off the giant spools. maybe even consider a wire mesh hose? I haven't had to do this change myself but just as a rule of thumb always put better parts on the car during a repair than OEM. It will last longer and from time to time it will improve performance.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
StillChasing1;1477817 said:
if you are going to replace that hose anyway go ahead and replace the garbage stock clamps for something better. With the idea that you are replacing the clamps and that the clamps are pinch on rather than screw on you could wiggle the hose off verry carefully without taking off the clamp. mirrors work wonders when trying to find the type of clamp you have on this hose. And considering you dont want to change this hose again any time soon and that hoses are extremely cheap get something more durable than the hose you pick up at napa off the giant spools. maybe even consider a wire mesh hose? I haven't had to do this change myself but just as a rule of thumb always put better parts on the car during a repair than OEM. It will last longer and from time to time it will improve performance.

What?

Last time I checked, OEM is your #1 choice for durability and reliability.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
StillChasing1;1477817 said:

HA! Stock clamps adapt to temp changes and tighten more as the rubber ages, worm gear won't.

The coolant system isn't high pressure...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
There is also a little rubber cap under the #6 exhaust that has a habit of rotting especially if it's not OEM, happened to me, replaced it with a parts store one, blew again.