Positives to Seafoam?

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
I've been reading alot of threads about Seafoam, and I still don't quite understand. I'm guessing that you of course put it into your motor through a vacuum hose, and then it smokes out, thus getting rid of carbon build up? What are some other positives to using this stuff?

-Matt

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Jul 23, 2006
Luck, Wisconsin
I have used Seafoam for 22 years and it works great. You can put it down the intake to de-carbonize the engine. You can put it in the oil to free up stuck lifters and rings. You can put it in the gas tank to clean the fuel system. You can also use it like sta-bil in the gas tanks of small engines. It is 40-60 % light oil, 25-35 % Naptha, and 10-20 % Isopropanol. It can be used in gas and diesel engines and I have never heard of it harming any engine when used properly.

The first time I saw it in action was in the first shop I worked at while going to tech school. I was tuning up an Impala with a smallblock and it idled rough even after the tune up. The boss poured a can of seafoam in the oil and within half a minute the idle dropped 200 RPM and smoothed right out. I was sold on seafoam right then and i've used it ever since.

jetjock said:
Burning oil from any source isn't good for your engine and it especially isn't good for your catalytic converter if you have one.
I'm not sure I go with that one. Every time a cylinder fires 2 or 3 drops of oil are burnt normally off the cylinder walls. Diesel fuel is basically a thin oil and those motors go half a million miles before they need freshening up. Two strokes burn tons of oil all the time and they are quite tuff and powerful. I don't know what seafoam does to converters but their website says it cleans them FWIW. I have never clogged a converter by pouring seafoam down an engine.

Yes, there are other additives/ premium fuels that do what seafoam does and it is not a magic cure-all but it does do what it is supposed to do. If you really want to keep your fuel system clean you should put a bottle of injection cleaner in your tank at every oil change. I did that when I was a fleet manager and our entire fleet of 100 vehicles had almost no fuel related problems ever.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
jetjock said:
I've never seen a two stoke with a cat but ok, not a problem. Since you're an authority this stuff and emissions equipment to boot I've deleted my post so others may receive the benefit of your experience.
JJ you're back!

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I haven't really many positive feedbacks on any additives... Very many bad.
Tried once one for increasing in mpg, don't know if it did anything (maybe only worse?)

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
yeah it can mess up your o2 sensor if your car is not at normal operating temp. but its mostly caution for OBD2 cars. if you have cats it can gum them up

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
I used 2 cans because I wanted to be sure I did it right and noticed no difference other than a lot of smoke and a lot of wasted gas by flooring it around town trying to get rid of the carbon buildup. Something I DID notice a difference with was when I used fuel injector cleaner through my injectors. It's called Berryman's Injector Cleaner and you disable the fuel pump and run your engine on the cleaner by itself. It worked great for me I noticed better mpg smoother response a little bit more power etc. This was on the NA and now that I think about it maybe I should do it to the 1jz.. it was like $5 for a can and my auto teacher had the adaptor to make it bolt into my cold start injector.

Btw matt your car looks good

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Jul 23, 2006
Luck, Wisconsin
When you pour it down the intake you need to rev it up and pour enough to just keep it running. When you get to the end of the can then pour the rest in and kill the engine. Then let it sit for 10 minutes so it can loosen the carbon and fire it up and WOT down the road until the smoke clears. I use it more in the gas tank and crankcase than down the intake. If you pour too much down the intake it can hydro-lock the engine and bend connecting rods. Seafoam deep creep is an aerosol that makes a great fogging oil for engines you are going to store, and I suppose you could spray that down the intake if you want.

Here's a post from someone who soaked a contaminated O2 sensor in seafoam to clean it up and it worked.
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=146585&postid=1342734

Here's a post from a mechanic who looked into his engine with a boroscope before and after seafoam.
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-183518.html

As far as plugging converters goes, how do we know that it is the seafoam , and not the loosened carbon deposits that plug the converter?

Here's an article about catalytic converters on 2 stroke engines.
http://www.smartplugs.com/news/boz010900.htm