popups

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
How do you get rid of them. My work computer decided that it was going to start giving me popups everytime I use the internet. I've ran avg a few times and its been coming up clear but I still get the popups from time to time.
Please help.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Pop-ups are usually caused by spyware/malware. Depending on the sites you visit, it can be forced down to your pc. You should get a spyware application. I don't know of any good ones, but they are out there.

Doward could probably help you out though!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Ok, problem number 1) You use IE. IE has holes in its design. Firefox or Safari are better at naturally stopping most pop-ups.

2) If you get firefox, go to the add-ons page and look up Adblock Plus. This add on will block pretty much anything that gets through

3) Use Spybot Search and Destroy (Download This) to scan the computer

4) Stop looking at gay midget beast pron

I do this for a living (fixing comps, I mean) :biglaugh:

Edit: CCleaner is awesome (Download This). Use it for the cleaning, but NOT the registry repair. Use Glarysoft (Download This) for any registry repairs. It works with both XP and Vista and will help the comp run smoother.

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
Thanks for the info. Im gonna use that spybot search and destroy on it the next time im in the office and get a new browser. I use CCleaner on a regular basis on it already but ill prolly just run it again just in case. Again thanks for all the help.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
Nghty89;1224183 said:
2) If you get firefox, go to the add-ons page and look up Adblock Plus. This add on will block pretty much anything that gets through

This seems to work pretty good for me.

Viruses and spyware have been hitting me hard lately for some reason, Firefox or not. I've been running Avast in the background and doing one thorough scan once a day and it just keeps on finding new Trojans and spy-/ malware all the time. Then even after getting rid of all this crap, it would still open webpages out of nowhere... Incredibly annoying.

But since I installed the add-on it behaves quite well :D

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Spybot: Search and Destroy.

Download it, update it, immunize your computer, then do a scan in safe mode.

Clears out 99% of things.

Tested a-squared vs spybot vs adaware - Spybot came out in the lead, A-squared was next, and Adaware actually said the system was clean.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I don't trust Avast or anything like it INCLUDING anything by Symantec or other paid for things. They do BS compared to a comodo firewall + avg + spybot

Well, if you keep having issues I can always remote in and fix it or at least set it up to run lol

You're welcome! Just pm me if anything is needed or if anyone needs computer help in general

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I use super antispyware, but only if I am doing a full scan. Its free, so its useful for covering the virus side. I usually run 5 at once to get my scans out of the way for that week. only takes 2 hours or so. I run spybot, avg antivirus, avg antispyware, super antispyware, and one other (cant remember) and it keeps my system clean. if one misses something, the other usually picks it up. They each have different detection methods and some viruses go inactive if they see a scan so you cant find them. For those I use blacklight and hijackthis since they use a passive method and give you a list of what processes are running. Nothing escapes those that i've seen so far, except for a bios virus that caused a client's laptop to become a midi player and never get past the bios. It would just play 16-bit songs like the Mario theme. It was hilarious! Minus the over-writing of the bios.

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
Nghty89;1224183 said:

:thumbup: I just added that last night, and all my pop-ups are gone. I don't even see the ads on pages anymore. Thanks for the tip!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
You're very welcome :icon_bigg I upgrade and build custom gaming computers too :biglaugh: The joke with my friends is that my home computer has 2 2jzgte's with T120's running 200 octane :naughty: :sarcasm: It's a beast lol